Jump to content
Forums

Rifts


5sD9006
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is it just me or are the rifts just too common in classic.  I remember in back in the days the rifts spawned randomly are were rare with a short timer.

 

It seems like the rifts just are on map 24/7 in classic. You cant even do a simple quest without getting ganked. I know this is a pvp game but jumping in rifts back in the day was special feeling because it wasnt that common and you had to find them. I dont know..Some players would like work on quest peacefully without interruptions sometimes.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dislike rifting, but only because I know that it doesn't have to be the way that it is right now, and I understand it's necessary in the current state of the game. On one hand without rifting we really don't have anything to do right now, but on the other there are only downsides to letting level 40s kill level 20s.

The root of the problem is really just that Aion maps are too damn big. Two people can run from opposite points of the map, from one corner to the other and never see each other if they take even a slightly different path. On top of that there are no dedicated PvP zones outside of sieges. If I'm 40 and I don't want to go to the abyss my only option is rifting (or defending against rifters.) 

This is why 3.X was my favorite content in the game (despite all of the balance and P2W issues that would follow.) Tiamaranta's Eye was fairly big, but people who went there were looking for a fight. To me it felt like a permanent siege but instead of forts you were fighting over rare mobs, and chests. There were enough safe zones in the game that someone who just wanted to PvE grind could do so uncontested in a safe zone or solo instance, but there were many options for people looking to PvP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2021 at 3:42 AM, MXJ said:

I dislike rifting, but only because I know that it doesn't have to be the way that it is right now, and I understand it's necessary in the current state of the game. On one hand without rifting we really don't have anything to do right now, but on the other there are only downsides to letting level 40s kill level 20s.

The root of the problem is really just that Aion maps are too damn big. Two people can run from opposite points of the map, from one corner to the other and never see each other if they take even a slightly different path. On top of that there are no dedicated PvP zones outside of sieges. If I'm 40 and I don't want to go to the abyss my only option is rifting (or defending against rifters.) 

This is why 3.X was my favorite content in the game (despite all of the balance and P2W issues that would follow.) Tiamaranta's Eye was fairly big, but people who went there were looking for a fight. To me it felt like a permanent siege but instead of forts you were fighting over rare mobs, and chests. There were enough safe zones in the game that someone who just wanted to PvE grind could do so uncontested in a safe zone or solo instance, but there were many options for people looking to PvP.

A big map is never a problem, the bigger the better.  You are seeing this from the perspective of a rifter, the people who want to level would rather never meet you while you are rifting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2021 at 5:00 AM, 5sD9006 said:

Is it just me or are the rifts just too common in classic.  I remember in back in the days the rifts spawned randomly are were rare with a short timer.

 

It seems like the rifts just are on map 24/7 in classic. You cant even do a simple quest without getting ganked. I know this is a pvp game but jumping in rifts back in the day was special feeling because it wasnt that common and you had to find them. I dont know..Some players would like work on quest peacefully without interruptions sometimes.

 

 

I think they are way too frequent in Eltnen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2021 at 5:27 AM, Arhangelos said:

A big map is never a problem, the bigger the better.  You are seeing this from the perspective of a rifter, the people who want to level would rather never meet you while you are rifting.

If those people had zones where they couldn't be killed (or at the very least greatly disincentivized) as well as giving PvPers a dedicated PvP zone then you wouldn't need to make it take 5 minutes just to run from a flight point to the mobs you're trying to kill. 

Why does Panda have to have this entire left side that you literally can't do anything in? It's just gates and quest NPCs put there to intentionally increase your time running from A to B. Why does Prosperity Road and Vanahal District have to be so far out of the way? Why can't you just use the upper right (empty) corner of the Panda Plaza for those shops. When I recruit SR groups it takes more time for people to run to the entrance than it does for the group to fill.

There comes a point where you've put too much time into "world building" and not enough time into thinking about how those decisions actually impact the player. One of my biggest complaints about this game is that no matter where I want to go I have to spend 5 minutes flying to get there. That's not 5 minutes of PvPing, or leveling, or gathering items, or crafting. It's literally just 5 minutes watching my character walk / fly in a straight line.

Realistically you could reduce every map's size by 50% and still have it feel very spacious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MXJ said:

If those people had zones where they couldn't be killed (or at the very least greatly disincentivized) as well as giving PvPers a dedicated PvP zone then you wouldn't need to make it take 5 minutes just to run from a flight point to the mobs you're trying to kill. 

Why does Panda have to have this entire left side that you literally can't do anything in? It's just gates and quest NPCs put there to intentionally increase your time running from A to B. Why does Prosperity Road and Vanahal District have to be so far out of the way? Why can't you just use the upper right (empty) corner of the Panda Plaza for those shops. When I recruit SR groups it takes more time for people to run to the entrance than it does for the group to fill.

There comes a point where you've put too much time into "world building" and not enough time into thinking about how those decisions actually impact the player. One of my biggest complaints about this game is that no matter where I want to go I have to spend 5 minutes flying to get there. That's not 5 minutes of PvPing, or leveling, or gathering items, or crafting. It's literally just 5 minutes watching my character walk / fly in a straight line.

Realistically you could reduce every map's size by 50% and still have it feel very spacious.

You are comparing apples to oranges, Pandaimonium and Sanctum are not mob maps, I understand their design might make no sense when you want to go from one place to another (especially in Sanctum) but it was made for aesthetic reasons in mind and never changed sine then, they simply shut off some areas in the future patches to make them smaller. Plus they added more teleport points in all leveling maps where you can simply open the map and click the wing icon in map and it will teleport you there (that is Quality of Life)

As for the non pvp map in later patches they implemented Fast Track server which was all the leveling maps pve exclusively. And that is when the actual maps got empty and you would walk from one place to another not finding a single person to fight, so FTS was awarded the prize of "rift killer".

As for pvp oriented map, the best map was Idian Depths but that was much later in a patch Classic will most likely never get.

Classic started from 1.0 and you already complain about everything 1.0 lacks from maps, content and quality of life.

Edited by Arhangelos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MXJ said:

If those people had zones where they couldn't be killed (or at the very least greatly disincentivized) as well as giving PvPers a dedicated PvP zone then you wouldn't need to make it take 5 minutes just to run from a flight point to the mobs you're trying to kill. 

Why does Panda have to have this entire left side that you literally can't do anything in? It's just gates and quest NPCs put there to intentionally increase your time running from A to B. Why does Prosperity Road and Vanahal District have to be so far out of the way? Why can't you just use the upper right (empty) corner of the Panda Plaza for those shops. When I recruit SR groups it takes more time for people to run to the entrance than it does for the group to fill.

There comes a point where you've put too much time into "world building" and not enough time into thinking about how those decisions actually impact the player. One of my biggest complaints about this game is that no matter where I want to go I have to spend 5 minutes flying to get there. That's not 5 minutes of PvPing, or leveling, or gathering items, or crafting. It's literally just 5 minutes watching my character walk / fly in a straight line.

Realistically you could reduce every map's size by 50% and still have it feel very spacious.

Just turn off PvP and rifting every other week in those maps, like in old retail before they implented the FTS
In old retail from a certain moment, they made PvP every other week in the level 20-35 maps and 30-45 maps, one week it was on the 20-35 maps the other week it was on thr 30-35 maps. If they do this, they should remove the kisks from the players in the oposite factions map and move the player to their home map during maintenance or just block pvp in the map that has the pve week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, FictionGirl-DN said:

Just turn off PvP and rifting every other week in those maps, like in old retail before they implented the FTS
In old retail from a certain moment, they made PvP every other week in the level 20-35 maps and 30-45 maps, one week it was on the 20-35 maps the other week it was on thr 30-35 maps. If they do this, they should remove the kisks from the players in the oposite factions map and move the player to their home map during maintenance or just block pvp in the map that has the pve week.

I don't like the idea of this at all Aion was not meant to be that way, most players came back to classic because they wanted the old Aion not what it turned into. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Wsnow said:

I don't like the idea of this at all Aion was not meant to be that way, most players came back to classic because they wanted the old Aion not what it turned into. 

This was done way back before 2.5. Only the jerks left that want easy kills on people that weren't geared yet, seems you are one of those people. That don't want others to level up and get PvP gear as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FictionGirl-DN said:

This was done way back before 2.5. Only the jerks left that want easy kills on people that weren't geared yet, seems you are one of those people. That don't want others to level up and get PvP gear as well. 

I don't go kill low lvls full stop, I am not even lvl 50 or in any pvp gear I am not in a rush. I want to enjoy the game for what it was meant to be, and what you said above was not how Aion was meant to be, I did not say they did not do what you said but that was just a way to fix something fast not a real fix to the game.  I have been killed many times but I don't cry about it. the reason they changed the game like you said was due to all the PVE players back in the day that wanted nothing to do with PVP.

If they do anything do channels that are not pvp only pve, that way they are not hurting players who want pvp, like they did before and so many pvp players left the game at that stage. 

  

 

 

Edited by Wsnow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Arhangelos said:

You are comparing apples to oranges, Pandaimonium and Sanctum are not mob maps.

That's my point. Even the maps that don't need to be obnoxiously large to allow players a place to "hide" from rifters, are still obnoxiously large because when they were developing the game they cared more about making sure it looked pretty than making sure it felt good to play.

Obviously they can't just go change the maps now. It was an example of how the maps being large actually does more to hurt the player than it does to benefit them since you said "This is a rifter's PoV that maps are too large."

Even your point about Fast Track being the "rift killer" would not be true if the maps were smaller, because the people looking to rift would actually be able to find PvP in a smaller map even with 100% of the leveling players on a different instance. I don't think Fast Track is the solution, because it takes 100% of the PvP out of a game made for it's PvP. That being said,  without changes to protect players from getting zerged it will quickly become a necessity again. 

Think about how they solved the large map issue in housing zones later on, they added... for lack of a better way to explain them "Tornados that give you a sprint buff" as well as teleport points out the ass.

Now that we've seen they're willing to develop new content for classic, there's no excuse they can give to explain away not giving us QoL buffs without hurting the core gameplay people came back for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I came back to Aion Classic because I loved it when it first came out. But now I cant even level past 23 because I die as soon as I leave Eltnen. The rifts are so frequent. I barley get out of Eltnen to quest and I get killed. I'm going to try a little bit longer to level  but then what's the use!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with many people's point here, I don't mind worrying over getting ganked or zerged (i almost always roam alone, so that's a given) and it adds a thrill that's hard to reproduce any other way, but to stay true to retail's launch state nc would need to remove displaying rifts on the map And reduce their frequency a bit. I've also noticed the double edged sword Bots bring to the game, yes i'm sure in some form they help the economy, but they also bring 100% more rifters who come specifically to farm bots AP, it's easy and keeps each factions 'lowbie areas' filled with enemy PC's who stay mainly in said areas to more easily collect lowbie/Bot AP, Hell I've encountered enemies who only Prefer to farm bots & run away when a Non bot comes to fight!

@NCwest: instead of turning your heads in scenario's that profit you & altering the Original state Aion launched in you could try giving the player base what they want and idk, seeing what happens? you might be surprised by how profits turn out....?  BAN AP traders, DO NOT look into their accounts to see how much Quna they've purchased, this should NEVER be a factor in banning an account that has proof against it for violating your ToS. BAN botters, this in the long run would even out the economy AND reduce the level of rifters who want exploits in the changes You've made (ie: labeling all rifts & allowing them 75% uptime) which in turn would let the respective factions' lowbies level up to the level you want in order to give us 1.5 sooner! It's all interconnected!

 

Try not to hate, im not trying to make the game less enjoyable for those who only care about pvp, nor am i trying to make the game more enjoyable for myself, I'd personally like Classic to share more of the qualities we fell in love with retail for, take it as you will, i just don't want the game to die off.... xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

its really insane how these people just sit in low level areas waiting for the one or two people roaming around trying to level.  i couldnt imagine lowering myself to such play style. it truly shows what kind people play this game.  i feel for them honestly. no life outside of this game,  ruining it for others with joy.   really sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2021 at 3:47 AM, Enilya said:

I came back to Aion Classic because I loved it when it first came out. But now I cant even level past 23 because I die as soon as I leave Eltnen. The rifts are so frequent. I barley get out of Eltnen to quest and I get killed. I'm going to try a little bit longer to level  but then what's the use!

With the 50% boost event you can level to 31 on Theobomos, if most Asmos are in Elthen and not in Abyss you can AP farm in the abyss as well

On 8/20/2021 at 8:44 PM, TsunTsao-DN said:

Try not to hate, im not trying to make the game less enjoyable for those who only care about pvp, nor am i trying to make the game more enjoyable for myself, I'd personally like Classic to share more of the qualities we fell in love with retail for, take it as you will, i just don't want the game to die off.... xD

It's not even PvP at all if high levels one shot kill low levels. Those that want easy kills are the ones that are against having PvE hours on Aion. The real PvP players don't care about the lowbies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...