Forums

Cheating or nah?

Bryos-DN

Since I am bored and need an actual discussion rather than the nyerk-tier comments about the event, I read this topic somewhere and found it interesting.

Imagine a competitive PvP game (beyond Aion's format). One player found out that altering their graphics card's settings (by using a feature produced by the graphics card's company) gives them an advantage over other players. Logically, rules of this game prohibit the use of third-party programs or modification of the game's files. While the decision is up to the developers, it does seem to be a muddy zone in which opinions are fairly split. Would this count as cheating?

Myself, I am not sure actually. :P

Mmm... I think it would depend upon what the advantage is. Like how MUCH of an advantage are we talking here? Does it pretty much guarantee you'll win? Then it's kind of shady. If it's just something like Shugo Console, then I don't really think it's cheating. I don't use Shugo Console, but from what I've been told, it just gives you a better field of view. I don't think something like that is really cheating as you still need gear and skills to win.

I don't know, my opinion on this matter is very soft and I could be easily swayed lol.

Basically, this game has a skill system, allowing only a certain amount of skills to take per game. One of the main arguments about its severity is that this feature allows you to use skills which you would have to use up a slot for, letting you use that slot for another skill. If that makes sense.

Its not an instant win button like no animation or glide hacks.

41 minutes ago, Bryos-DN said:

Basically, this game has a skill system, allowing only a certain amount of skills to take per game. One of the main arguments about its severity is that this feature allows you to use skills which you would have to use up a slot for, letting you use that slot for another skill. If that makes sense.

Its not an instant win button like no animation or glide hacks.

Trying to understand what you are saying and I assume you are being vague on purpose. You are saying that this feature of the graphic card auto uses a skill? Sorry if I am misunderstanding. =/

I say no, IF it's part of the manufacturer supplied driver for the GPU. Saying a better GPU gives you an advantage, well yes, but so does a better computer overall and, a lower ping on your internet connection. What are we going to do ban people for having gaming rigs and pings below 500? LOL. (And yes I play over a satellite ISP so despite having one of those gaming rigs, I suffer from ping of 500 to 600 disadvantage but, I'm not complaining that it's unfair that most players have a lower ping and less lag than I do. That, like a great GPU, is not cheating, it's what you can afford and, whats available where you live. If your computer with factory drivers, a bit of overclocking and a great connection gives you an advantage, enjoy it.)

34 minutes ago, Aly-DN said:

Trying to understand what you are saying and I assume you are being vague on purpose. You are saying that this feature of the graphic card auto uses a skill? Sorry if I am misunderstanding. =/

It does not use a skill. It mimics it. Such as seeing through hide (if Hide wasnt hide but a fading of the avatar) by modifying the brightness of your monitor (not real, just an example).

34 minutes ago, Bryos-DN said:

It does not use a skill. It mimics it. Such as seeing through hide (if Hide wasnt hide but a fading of the avatar) by modifying the brightness of your monitor (not real, just an example).

Well.. shoot. Yeah. That would be a cheat.

No, adjusting the brightness of your monitor, or the contrast, or temperature or anything is no more cheating that using a 4K monitor vs. a black and white TV is cheating. No game company can force users to set their display a certain way or, use a specific monitor to play the game. They can't dictate that only people with good eyesight that don't need to adjust brightness or gamma can play. They can't tell us we can't pay because we don't have 20/20 vision and, have to adjust our display accordingly any more than they can tell us not to turn the brightness or gamma down if it's too bright for us.

Not cheating if you aren't using anything but manufacturer supplied GPU and monitor drivers to adjust the appearance of your screen. Now using a special, third party program or modified hardware (beyond simply overclocking the GPU) to do so, yes that's a cheat. 

Archived