Let's talk about chatlog, shall we?

GenericUser25154

So I was having this huge - I mean it when I say huge - FPS lag on ANY mass PVP or PVE. I'm not sure exactly when it started to happen as I'm constantly formatting my PC and reinstalling stuff.

The only thing that fixed my problems (mas PVP and PVE FPS lag) was to use Shugo Console and disable chatlog.

What the actual heck does it do anyways? Why can't we disable that crap in game? I swear I tried removing all my chat windows and unchecked every option possible before trying Shugo Console. But it finally fixed my problem.

No more 1-3 FPS sieges, thank God!

9 minutes ago, Kubei-DN said:

Aion does not have chatlog. That feature is only available from third party tools like Shugo Console or a DPS meter. If you had lag while Shugo Console was up, then you have your answer.

This is flat out wrong. Aion does have chatlog, and using shugo console to disable it has been a fix for fps lag at siege for time immemorial. I can tell when I've forgotten to open shugo console before playing because any pvp/pve with league-tier quantities of people will be laggy as hell, even with shift-f12 enabled. Open shugo console, the lag disappears within 1-2 seconds.

2 minutes ago, Trumperor-KT said:

This is flat out wrong. Aion does have chatlog, and using shugo console to disable it has been a fix for fps lag at siege for time immemorial. I can tell when I've forgotten to open shugo console before playing because any pvp/pve with league-tier quantities of people will be laggy as hell, even with shift-f12 enabled. Open shugo console, the lag disappears within 1-2 seconds.

It does not. If you had any other third-party tool installed, then removed it, the chat log remains. I know because I don't have it since I don't use Shugo Console.

https://i.imgur.com/3VHgIHv.png 

When I did use Shugo Console on my old HDD, however, I distinctly remember having the chat logs and was using them with Support to retrieve an item I sold by accident.

16 minutes ago, Kubei-DN said:

Aion does not have chatlog. That feature is only available from third party tools like Shugo Console or a DPS meter. If you had lag while Shugo Console was up, then you have your answer.

Aion does have chatlog. And the lag does away when I open it and disable chatlog, not the other way around.

14 minutes ago, PlumbCrazy-DN said:

I thought Shugo Console was illegal.  No?

I could be wrong, but they said they do not support it, not that it is illegal.

Just now, Kubei-DN said:

It does not. If you had any other third-party tool installed, then removed it, the chat log remains. I know because I don't have it since I don't use Shugo Console.

https://i.imgur.com/3VHgIHv.png 

When I did use Shugo Console on my old HDD, however, I distinctly remember having the chat logs and was using them with Support to retrieve an item I sold by accident.

As I said, it's been common knowledge that this is a fix for fps lag at sieges for many, many years. There's no point debating this. Your theory that it's only a fix for lag because the lag was being caused by shugo console itself is wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Trumperor-KT said:

As I said, it's been common knowledge that this is a fix for fps lag at sieges for many, many years. There's no point debating this. Your theory that it's only a fix for lag because the lag was being caused by shugo console itself is wrong. 

I see. Then please do a clean install of Windows and Aion, then do show me where the chat log usually stays? That is, without attempting to install Shugo Console or DPS meter. Those always create chat logs.

3 minutes ago, Kubei-DN said:

I see. Then please do a clean install of Windows and Aion, then do show me where the chat log usually stays? That is, without attempting to install Shugo Console or DPS meter. Those always create chat logs.

Hmmmm. That might have been the issue here actually. I have installed DPS meter a while back. Not sure if it was back then that this has started. Since Aion has 30GB+ files to download, I always copy-paste it to my external hard drive. I'll try redonwloading it from scratch without opening shugo console and see how it goes.

Other than that, I've tried pretty much everything! Reinstalled all MB, processor, network, audio and video drivers. Nothing seems to do the trick, other than Shugo Console with the option to disable chatlog.

Because you have answered yourself. DPS meters create chat logs for a specific purpose and I remember that gave me bad fps drops in certain areas as well til I disabled it. Mind you, this was about 2 years ago when Iluma and Norsvold were still pretty new. 

I used to run ARM back in the day, 2-3 years ago.  I could tell I lagged more with that on during certain times, like siege and a few heavy congested areas.  I don't use it any more.

Does a ping reducer program work for a ping average of 55?  Want to stop lag in IB and during sieges w/o trying shugo console.

4 minutes ago, Kubei-DN said:

Because you have answered yourself. DPS meters create chat logs for a specific purpose and I remember that gave me bad fps drops in certain areas as well til I disabled it. Mind you, this was about 2 years ago when Iluma and Norsvold were still pretty new. 

The thing is I have since then formatted my computer and I don't have the DPS meters installed anymore. Not sure if it enables chatlog in some Aion file or what gives. Either way I'm downloading the game again to see how that goes.

Just now, KonkersGG-EK said:

The thing is I have since then formatted my computer and I don't have the DPS meters installed anymore. Not sure if it enables chatlog in some Aion file or what gives. Either way I'm downloading the game again to see how that goes.

If you copied it by a freak accident, then it can still cause lag whether you had the tool installed or not. When I opened the log to see one day, not even my PC could handle the scrolling. This ain't a potato PC I have either, so imagine that.

2 minutes ago, PlumbCrazy-DN said:

I used to run ARM back in the day, 2-3 years ago.  I could tell I lagged more with that on during certain times, like siege and a few heavy congested areas.  I don't use it any more.

Does a ping reducer program work for a ping average of 55?  Want to stop lag in IB and during sieges w/o trying shugo console.

At this point it's all about optimization. The game is heavily CPU dependent, rather than GPU.

Since 5.3, the Aion client should normally remove the g_chatlog entry from system.cfg whenever you:

• Starting the logout timer
  • Change servers between Standard, Fast Track, or Instance servers
  • Logged out of game (to character select)
  • Aion client closed normally

The next time you start Aion client without g_chatlog enabled, the chat logging should be disabled and the chat.log file deleted.

1 hour ago, TheSecretCowLeve-KT said:

Since 5.3, the Aion client should normally remove the g_chatlog entry from system.cfg whenever you:

• Starting the logout timer
  • Change servers between Standard, Fast Track, or Instance servers
  • Logged out of game (to character select)
  • Aion client closed normally

The next time you start Aion client without g_chatlog enabled, the chat logging should be disabled and the chat.log file deleted.

That might have been caused by the meters then. I'll test it later today on the brand new client.

Another thing that I could test already, on the fresh instalation, is that every single monster that I kill makes my screen freeze for 0.1s. It started a week ago, maybe two? I don't remember exactly. Since then I have already reisntaled Windows too. It happens either on 32 or 64 bits clients. Latest NVidia drivers, but I've tested down to 388.x drivers.

Aion is the only game where this happens. Everytime I'm doing Luna dailies it lags a lot when monsters die in weaves lol. Omg this glitchy game...

• Aion Team
2 hours ago, PlumbCrazy-DN said:

I'd ask @Cyan  but probably not get a response till Christmas ;P

The response for this sort of stuff is always the same. Third party programs are not supported and can end up with your account being suspended. 

4 hours ago, PlumbCrazy-DN said:

I don't think that has anything to do with network latency. More likely it would be local processing lag (CPU / GPU) so a network tunneling service would probably not help.

Archived