Rerolling sorc is it a mistake?

keloirn-KT

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 9:11 PM, Cheesecake-DN said:

Pros:

It hits really nyerking hard. If you get good at it, you can easily be a top DPS in PvE.

Has some shiny animations.

Cons:

It's not as plug-and-play in PvP as songweaver is.

Not very many guides on how2sorc.

To add to the pros- you can get amongst the top DPS if you  perfect your rotation. If you want to play a caster the roatation is more difficult arguably to get the best DPS than casters, but has a higher potential.

PVP

Way more challenging than the other cloth classes, you need to manage CDS very well, have very good situational awareness and in some cases  you cannot make any mistakes.

On 3/15/2018 at 6:16 AM, Lumin-DN said:

I've heard sorc in 6.0 is awful.

For what? PVE? PVP? in what way?

They got a PVE buff in 6.2, so did other magic classes.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, Cheesecake-DN said:

It's not as plug-and-play in PvP as songweaver is.

Very true about SWs VERY true 

I played a sorc before its very fun the only thing I found that I kinda struggled with was the cast time (coming from me not playing a true caster) I can say, Sorc is much more fun than SM IMO.

Sorc is the Magical equivilant to Assassins at this point.

Gear dependent, heavily skill reliant. 

You will either suck or be a god. Bad gear + skill = free kill, good gear + skill = you can't lose.

Unfortunately, although still relatively simple (if you're new to the game and used to the crutches maybe not so much), its skill curve is far higher than any other caster. Same as Assassin. However once you master it, and learn how to properly PvP, you can win almost any fight as long as you have your basic CD's. 

Well a sorc is like a SW without the heals, the awesome debuffs and survivability. I always played a sorc/mage class in all games, I have to say aion sorc is the worst of all. Take into consideration that the game is full of hackers and the no animation hack is benefiting all classes except sorc. Not that you would cheat, but casting is solid and server checked while attack speed is weirdly implemented so client sided people can cheat it and have insane hits per second, leading our flimsy class to get killed in 1 second or something.

Sleep is effectively useless in mass pvp because people will simply hit the one you slept so they wake him up. In mass pvp you stay behind, and nuke.
All debuffs are better than sleep, Fear is the most op, stun is good, knockdown, aetherhold... sleep is last, it is almost an escape tactic, sleep your opponent and use a scroll to go to town lol.

Godstone-wise we are the worst, at every hit a godstone can proc and do something, we hit the least amount of hits per second as we have slow skills with more power. A sin for example will not only have 2 godstones, but also hits ten times more skills per second than we do. Thank goodness they remove godstones from game at 6.0

There are also plenty of classes that are either anti-cloth or specifically anti-sorc. Archers, Sins, SW, SM will most likely just own you at equal level of gear and/or pvp knowledge, and of course drop-dead m.res clerics that cannot be beaten by any class, but that is not a sorc problem, it is global.

5 hours ago, Arxaggelos-KT said:

Well a sorc is like a SW without the heals, the awesome debuffs and survivability. I always played a sorc/mage class in all games, I have to say aion sorc is the worst of all. Take into consideration that the game is full of hackers and the no animation hack is benefiting all classes except sorc. Not that you would cheat, but casting is solid and server checked while attack speed is weirdly implemented so client sided people can cheat it and have insane hits per second, leading our flimsy class to get killed in 1 second or something.

Sleep is effectively useless in mass pvp because people will simply hit the one you slept so they wake him up. In mass pvp you stay behind, and nuke.
All debuffs are better than sleep, Fear is the most op, stun is good, knockdown, aetherhold... sleep is last, it is almost an escape tactic, sleep your opponent and use a scroll to go to town lol.

Godstone-wise we are the worst, at every hit a godstone can proc and do something, we hit the least amount of hits per second as we have slow skills with more power. A sin for example will not only have 2 godstones, but also hits ten times more skills per second than we do. Thank goodness they remove godstones from game at 6.0

There are also plenty of classes that are either anti-cloth or specifically anti-sorc. Archers, Sins, SW, SM will most likely just own you at equal level of gear and/or pvp knowledge, and of course drop-dead m.res clerics that cannot be beaten by any class, but that is not a sorc problem, it is global.

1. Agreed, sorcs don't get the same advantages from godstones as many other classes, it's always been that way
  2. Sleep is not useless in mass PVP, nor is it a debuff, you have to known when and where it can  be used and WHICH sleep is useful
  3. A sorc has other uses besides nukes in mass PVP, such as stuns (muktiple- I know you mentioned it, but sorcs have more than 1), silence, other CCs (slows, snares)

So is a sorc the :worst of all" - you say so reasoning it starting that they are the cloth class that can least take advantage of animation hacks- seriously?? who looks at a class and says" oh well, I really should consider hacks when I pick my class?"

Really, if OP has no interest in PVP then sorcs are fine, they do take gear however and practice on a very good rotation. If they love PVP then they will have a much easier time on a SM or a SW. If they really like a challenge they will probably get bored on a SW,  anyone can play a DPS SW. Heal spec is another story.

I love my sorcs. Then again I'm a die hard mage player in MMO games. Glass cannons are my thing. Whatever the highest DPS glass cannon is, that's what I want. Like any good mage, you've got to get the roatation going to max DPS while using the few CC spells you have to keep targets off of you. You are easy to kill, have to stand still to cast, for a second or two and, w/o CC, that's going to get you killed, especially in PvP.

Not that you can't PvP a sorc, you can, but the rotation is different for PvP and, you have to be good at using your escapes. Much more resist to your CC and, anyone can remove it's effect as fast as they can click so, you might get one cast started while they free themselves, hit and run. A sorc standing still after casting is a dead one in PvP LOL.

6 hours ago, 5s25C407-DN said:
  1. Agreed, sorcs don't get the same advantages from godstones as many other classes, it's always been that way
  2. Sleep is not useless in mass PVP, nor is it a debuff, you have to known when and where it can  be used and WHICH sleep is useful
  3. A sorc has other uses besides nukes in mass PVP, such as stuns (muktiple- I know you mentioned it, but sorcs have more than 1), silence, other CCs (slows, snares)

So is a sorc the :worst of all" - you say so reasoning it starting that they are the cloth class that can least take advantage of animation hacks- seriously?? who looks at a class and says" oh well, I really should consider hacks when I pick my class?"

Really, if OP has no interest in PVP then sorcs are fine, they do take gear however and practice on a very good rotation. If they love PVP then they will have a much easier time on a SM or a SW. If they really like a challenge they will probably get bored on a SW,  anyone can play a DPS SW. Heal spec is another story.

What I meant about the hackers is that all classes have an insane amount of people who cheat and that puts our class in ever worse position. I already mentioned that hacking is not taken into consideration when you chose a sorc, but if there is a class that suffers from hackers it is the sorc, since most other classes have more survivability than us and thus they can probably try to do something, we will most likely die in 1 second.

And yeah, if he is going to cheat a sorc cannot benefit from those hacks. But that wasn't what I wanted to tell him.

The biggest thing to remember is that a Sorc is a true glass cannon and, if you don't know how to play one and play one well, learn in PvE and read not only Aion but any guides about playing glass cannons that you can find. They are not easy classes to play well and survive well in PvP. You will be the easiest thing to kill in PvP no matter your buffs, gear and CC, but, you also pack the biggest single hit wallop, when you can pull it off. Easily over 5K damage in one hit and, it doesn't take a ton of mana to do it.

Do keep lots of mana pots though and, use MP recovery whenever you can. That is a sorcs sure way to die - run out of mana, all you can do is try to run away and, that usually means running right to another enemy - whoops, dead. LOL Don't run out of enough mana to cast your big spells. Need at least 1 cc and 2 heavy damage at the ready at all times. Not enough mana for those, then don't leave the safe zone.

They are fun, challenging PvP toons and, even keep you on your toes in PvE. I have PvP sorcs (or the equivalent) in several games. One of my Beta Testing toons in another game is a PvP sorc and, on the Beta server, he is the top in both DPS and overall kills, even killed a few developers of that game with him so, yes, it can be done. Not easily and, I am stuck with satellite ISP so, MINIMUM ping is 500, usually 600-800 which ads to the challenge for me but, still doe not make it impossible to be a good PvP sorc.

1 hour ago, Azraiel-DN said:

The biggest thing to remember is that a Sorc is a true glass cannon and, if you don't know how to play one and play one well, learn in PvE and read not only Aion but any guides about playing glass cannons that you can find. They are not easy classes to play well and survive well in PvP. You will be the easiest thing to kill in PvP no matter your buffs, gear and CC, but, you also pack the biggest single hit wallop, when you can pull it off. Easily over 5K damage in one hit and, it doesn't take a ton of mana to do it.

Do keep lots of mana pots though and, use MP recovery whenever you can. That is a sorcs sure way to die - run out of mana, all you can do is try to run away and, that usually means running right to another enemy - whoops, dead. LOL Don't run out of enough mana to cast your big spells. Need at least 1 cc and 2 heavy damage at the ready at all times. Not enough mana for those, then don't leave the safe zone.

They are fun, challenging PvP toons and, even keep you on your toes in PvE. I have PvP sorcs (or the equivalent) in several games. One of my Beta Testing toons in another game is a PvP sorc and, on the Beta server, he is the top in both DPS and overall kills, even killed a few developers of that game with him so, yes, it can be done. Not easily and, I am stuck with satellite ISP so, MINIMUM ping is 500, usually 600-800 which ads to the challenge for me but, still doe not make it impossible to be a good PvP sorc.

Running out of mana? LOL, typically the least of my concerns, maybe 1 out of 10 fights. It's far more usual to be concerned about the debuffs and being  continuously silenced and keeping my HP up - mana is sometimes the issue if I hit an AT at the wrong time or a SW drains me.Mana hasn't been an issue otherwise since 4.x.

In addition, sorcs do not pack the biggest wallop necessarily nor are they the most fragile class- this doesn't make them the easiest class to kill at all IF you make use of the skills that you have. A 5k hit is not so impressive anyways if someone is rocking what, easily over 25k , 30 k HP . 

PVE wise they are fairly easy, the used to be more challenging if you wanted to solo elites  or solo some bosses, but that's no really significant anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Crimsonblast-DN said:

I've had good luck in getting my godstone to proc by using the dots on a target and then the debuffs and other skills, and have noticed the godstone procing a lot more than not using the dot skills, 

You will never approach the potential proc rate of several melee classes,particularly ATs and sins. 

To make it worse, even in the cloth classes, bards have a better chance at getting higher proc rates.

Archived