Forums

Low FPS?

Valse-KT

Hi all, I'm sure there have been tons of threads about this in the past, but I couldn't see any off an immediate google search and didn't want to keep looking.

Basically, I have a somewhat major FPS issue in Aion.  In town I normally have 15-30 FPS and at sieges (with players turned off) I have 0-10.  I play with lowest settings aside from high texture detail, terrain range, and object range.  My GPU is a 1080 and my CPU is an i5-8400.  I have no issues with any other game and easily hit 144 with high settings or 300 with low settings elsewhere.  It's really only Aion that I have issues with.

Please, if anyone has any idea how to fix this or why this might be happening, let me know.

Thanks!

On 4/20/2019 at 0:47 PM, Aly-DN said:

Aion is horribly optimized. It's laggy. I don't think you can fix this short of fixing the actual game, which probably isn't going to happen.

Got it - so most people have to deal with terrible frames even with good computers?

I had this problem as a major issue on my last desktop box and had to dumb down everything but now have similar specs to yours but my FPS was lower (in town) because I had some higher use settings enabled as I wanted to see character effects etc and not dumb town the aesthetic. I tried a siege once with that and was just frozen so with your post's prompt I'm having another look at it. When I set my FPS to fixed in town it seems to make a reasonable improvement, maybe 100%, but too early to tell at what loss (of details I like and when and where). Maybe that could be a partial option for sieges, that seems to be the main part of the FPS problem of the post, but I wouldn't know. If people are not functioning in sieges from FPS then is it a shared problem?

Also if everyone has this issue and just makes do then there seems to be a contradiction in the 'transparent scrolls' issue that appears in forums often. If everyone has dumbed down the display so much that it matters not what any one else looks like then might as well be a penguin except for one's own reflection on that not liking it... btw I've opted for ancient Tejhi because i was lucky enough to pull one from event and the stats are OK...better than a penguin at least.

Running two accounts together but keep all background/startup things off most of the time and clear cache and restart when i get the sort of lag that is like groundhog day running up stairs for example only to be at the bottom repetitively but that's probably not FPS related more server or maybe cable/in-house traffic like, or two accounts i guess.

I'm sure there are more answers/advice out there to this topic.

Your computer has to download and process information from hundreds of different character models, All of them with custom bodies and faces, and many of them altered with dyes, at a time. And every time new ones pop in? It has to do it all over again. If you're out cruising around Lakrum looking for trouble from the opposite faction, you'll probably only meet at most 10 other character models at a time, and it'll be fine. But if you're in a big crowd, that computer's going to struggle juggling hundreds of them. There are many long-running MMOs that struggle just as hard with newer hardware in a crowd.

Some people will say to turn off other players' models during raids and sieges. It looks silly, but no sillier than a raid full of pink bunnies and fennec foxes, and it does the job. Also, you'll get to a point where the game client gives up and stops rendering character textures until you go somewhere less crowded.

The TLDR of the whole thing is don't overthink the framerate of raids and sieges, especially on older games. If you really want to bring up the framerate, hit Shift + F12, then do it again to undo it after the siege is over.

8 hours ago, Matsukamy-KT said:

Aion is a 10 yo game. They having been messing with the code for all this time.

6, 7 years ago I remember having a computer 3 times worse than the one I have now, and Aion still ran way better than it does currently.

When I played KR server during 6.0 launch I remember the game being very smooth and rarely have graphical lags (except bad ping but that's different). 

Archived