What should happen after 2.7?

5s16519C

Of course, it's really far out.  First we have to see if the game even survives that long!

But for the purpose of this discussion, let's assume it does.  Let's assume the game makes it to 2.7 and has a thriving community.  What then?  What do you want to see happen?  I know a lot of people have expressed disdain for 3.0+, and it got me wondering what enough community pushback would cause.  

Obviously the game won't stay in some 2.7 limbo forever, there has to be further updates and changes.  I'm doubtful they're going to manufacture completely new content and zones for this Classic release... So what then?  

And what is it about 3.0+ you guys don't like?  I personally enjoyed the game right up until the new classes began to drop.  That was my breaking point.

I would like it to continue being p2p obviously, since that's when issues started showing. I would love them to focus on the lore more, fill up some gaps and fix current ones to make the story better. They have no idea how much potential the lore has and it's such a shame to see it go waste.

Guest Expertius

Hell no 3.0 was  boring . The sieges were bad . Id rather stay on 2.7 forever . Getting a character full geared or getting like a Mastercarved items or the Veile / Masta Weap can take years . 

3 minutes ago, Guest Expertius said:

Hell no 3.0 was  boring . The sieges were bad . Id rather stay on 2.7 forever . Getting a character full geared or getting like a Mastercarved items or the Veile / Masta Weap can take years . 

From a game health perspective that's not really going to fly, I'm afraid.  Progression is a requirement to keep a game like this going, there's no way it can sustain on a single patch for years like that without previously introducing some robust content.  It'll have to go somewhere.

10 minutes ago, Kubei-DN said:

I would like it to continue being p2p obviously, since that's when issues started showing. I would love them to focus on the lore more, fill up some gaps and fix current ones to make the story better. They have no idea how much potential the lore has and it's such a shame to see it go waste.

I also hope it remains in a subscription structure.

But the lore thing is interesting.  How, exactly would they expand on it?  New quests / regions?  New dungeons?  What sort of content would help you explore the lore?

6 minutes ago, 5s16519C said:

But the lore thing is interesting.  How, exactly would they expand on it?  New quests / regions?  New dungeons?  What sort of content would help you explore the lore?

I'm mostly looking at it from my current perspective. I don't remember much of 3.x and 4.x lore, except when I started in 4.9. Aion is the only game that actively deletes maps then reuses them for idiotic purposes. Leveling progress shouldn't be lightning fast like it is now, it should take time to explore each map and each region thoroughly.

2 minutes ago, Ketakutan said:

Maybe have multiple servers locked on different versions? That way, one sub, get all content with p2p. When new major version comes up, you get to choose which branch you want.

Sounds good on paper but sadly that wouldn't work on a technical level.

Guest Rurumo

They need to focus on supporting the game systems that make Aion Classic a great game-faction pvp, the Abyss, Sieges, flight, rifting, dredgion, levelling PVP, etc.  Each of these was systematically dismantled over the years until the game became a ghost of it's once great self.  Repeatable, meaningful, pvp content.

I dont mind if the progress the game onward. Just with changes to the main theme being left out. Way back when, i went from logging in and rifting and pvping to logging in and being unable to rift because of the changes made with the defense buffs and stuff.. Even tested it, my maxed sorc couldnt dent a level 20 sorc on their home turf. This game was advertised sold and played as a pvp grind fest. And somewhere we all fell in love with it. But then they changed it all the whims of the outspoken few, I have learned in my many years of MMORPGs that the ones who are happy with the games state dont get in forums much and dont complain. So the verbal minority that isnt happy is the only thing the devs go on. 

So short list

Keep rifting Viable.. Let players police their areas. IF a high level is griefing, then implement a bounty/alarm system that shows them.. (Oh wait that is already there) and let the other players hunt his butt and end him. Or ATLEAST make a server where it is true PVP no rift buffs in place. That way we can choose if we want "Carebear" or PVP madness!

NO P2W. I would pay 20/month to keep p2w features outta this version of the game. That includes Supplements, ANY ANY ANY gear with stats. I dont mind a cash shop for cosmetics. BUT, there shouldnt be stuff there that trumps what you get in game visually in every way. All that does is show off the quality of the players debit card. The truly amazing looking stuff should be EARNED in game through hard work. Once again the monthly sub will bring in the profit. 

4 minutes ago, Guest Rurumo said:

They need to focus on supporting the game systems that make Aion Classic a great game-faction pvp, the Abyss, Sieges, flight, rifting, dredgion, levelling PVP, etc.  Each of these was systematically dismantled over the years until the game became a ghost of it's once great self.  Repeatable, meaningful, pvp content.

Amen!

Guest Rambacat

I didn't hate 3.0+? I liked mounts and houses, or at least the idea of them because I didn't play for long after 3.0 released in the EU. I didn't play around much with the newer classes except for one, Songweaver made a nice change but at the same time...it definitely felt like those classes filled a gap that wasn't really there in the first place.

For Classic I'd definitely also like to see it stay p2p. I don't mind paying a subscription fee. After 2.7...idk, updated graphics might be nice if Classic remains popular enough, along with the additional lore that Kubei mentioned. As long as they don't remove absolutely everything I enjoyed about the game and turn it into whatever Retail has become I'd be pretty excited to see any new content they add in.

Thats easy, on 2.7 let people play and get all OP. Then after half a year some big pvp battle event to "win" the planet once and for all. And after that delete the servers, rewind client and start all over again.

Aion PvP has never mattered much to me so I won't offer any ideas on to how that should change except maybe NOT destroying every socketed manastone by failing to socket a single one, as we got in a later patch? Beyond that though, all I care about that's missing are player housing and maybe mounts. Beyond that I can only recommend what NOT to do. Don't be nyerking idiots this time around and charge the same price as a brand new game ($50) for a basic mount like they did in the beginning when mounts first launched. Don't charge $20-30 for a simple cosmetic outfit, some of which used to even be available for kinah, some of which were STILL available for kinah while NCSoft tried to sell them for $20. GW2, an NCSoft owned B2P games gets along just fine charging $5-10 for every mount skin and cosmetic armor / outfit and these are actually rotated in and out of the market pretty regularly.

Also goes without saying I'd hope: Do not EVER start deleting maps, quests, items, or any other content from the game.

I'd also like to see crafting (not just cooking or potion making) remain viable. I think back to the days of original SWG and how a well crafted weapon and suit of armor and weapon were all you really needed for any content. In Aion's case I'd say keep the AP gear the best for PvP, but  a non-pvp avenue towards achieving at least somewhat competitive gear would be nice, as long as it still requires work and dedication.

I almost forgot! I also hope that at some point they add the additional character creation features that modern Aion has. There are many faces, hairstyles, eyes, and even some sliders that are missing in this version. It would also be sweet to FINALLY be able to dye certain abyss gear such as the ones that glow.

If this game is going to remain early patches (as it should) I'd say we ought to focus mainly on cosmetic features (especially stuff we've never had before) and quality of life improvements.

housing was a nice Kinah sink..and darnit!  I really enjpyed playing an ethertech/gunslinger.. but when zones started going poof and the game got dumded down and luna/prestige pack crap came in along with all the P2W goodies and insta level garbage in the cash shop things went rapidly to hell

Guest Rambacat
18 minutes ago, Jagblade-DN said:

Aion PvP has never mattered much to me so I won't offer any ideas on to how that should change except maybe NOT destroying every socketed manastone by failing to socket a single one, as we got in a later patch? Beyond that though, all I care about that's missing are player housing and maybe mounts. Beyond that I can only recommend what NOT to do. Don't be nyerking idiots this time around and charge the same price as a brand new game ($50) for a basic mount like they did in the beginning when mounts first launched. Don't charge $20-30 for a simple cosmetic outfit, some of which used to even be available for kinah, some of which were STILL available for kinah while NCSoft tried to sell them for $20. GW2, an NCSoft owned B2P games gets along just fine charging $5-10 for every mount skin and cosmetic armor / outfit and these are actually rotated in and out of the market pretty regularly.

Also goes without saying I'd hope: Do not EVER start deleting maps, quests, items, or any other content from the game.

I'd also like to see crafting (not just cooking or potion making) remain viable. I think back to the days of original SWG and how a well crafted weapon and suit of armor and weapon were all you really needed for any content. In Aion's case I'd say keep the AP gear the best for PvP, but  a non-pvp avenue towards achieving at least somewhat competitive gear would be nice, as long as it still requires work and dedication.

Oof, absolutely all of this, especially the crafting. Actually would be nice if they could expand on it and keep it up together with any additional content they put out. I was so disappointed when I came back to Aion to find that crafting, gathering and aethertapping had all gone from the game; used to be a nice way to pass the time while talking to friends in game when we weren't out hunting for pvp.

I'm so excited to be able to do that all again.

5 minutes ago, Guest Rambacat said:

Oof, absolutely all of this, especially the crafting. Actually would be nice if they could expand on it and keep it up together with any additional content they put out. I was so disappointed when I came back to Aion to find that crafting, gathering and aethertapping had all gone from the game; used to be a nice way to pass the time while talking to friends in game when we weren't out hunting for pvp.

I'm so excited to be able to do that all again.

Other MMO's have definitely proven that there's a market for crafting/lifeskills.  Black Desert is a fantastic example of it done right and in such a way that it actually keeps up with the combative side of the game.  I hope they keep this stuff too!

25 minutes ago, Jagblade-DN said:

Good point, was just talking to a friend about this.. Gathering/Crafting in Aion was AMAZING at launch. I loved all the intricate parts and such and how you needed to work with other crafters (or level them all yourself) to get some things needed for bigger projects.

Reading these it shows a few main themes.

>Do the work NCSOFT, we seem to love the complicated, hard, grindy  mess this game could have been. From Crafting to socketing keep it the same but progress it in the same themes just advanced items. 

>Dont mess with pvp except to add to that side of it. Progress it Dont regress it.

>Housing is a must. You guys did it best. Maybe Steal from FFXIV some ideas haha. Since they obviously followed your design example. 

>Cash shop control. You stand to make a ton just keeping it Sub based. So tone down the cash shop.

>Last but not least... the over all theme here.. DONT DUMB IT DOWN.. KEEP IT CRAZY. WE have 100s of mmos that are easy cake walks.. WE are the elites who want the challenge and confusion and the sense of discovery and pride that comes with overcoming hardships and becoming Godlike Daeva! 

14 minutes ago, Ele-DN said:

add gunner/sw

no level cap increase from 55

major stigmas

add new maps like the ones in 3.0, 4.0 and instances.. cap at 55 that drop armor as skins, no stats 

Yeah, I'm tapping out the second the new classes hit this.

Guest Best of luck

begs for the classic version of the game, then asks for the new classes. .

What exactly do you not understand about the word "classic".

Archived