If you play solo, you want to be in party with an alt.

Jake-DN

Turns out branding is a group-only function. 

So if you're solo, you'll want to be dual logging with an alt in party so you can brand as needed for PvP and situationally PvE.  Sucks but hopefully this is something they'll adjust later on.

17 minutes ago, Foxy Boxy said:

Why would you need to brand when you are solo? Only your group can see it anyway and if you're by yourself....

For PvP and certain PvE situations branding allows for quicker targeting, especially since Aion's Tab targeting system is very wonky. Also serves other purposes but yes, brands are very helpful for solo play.

That really doesn't answer the question. It is not hard to target in PVP at all. Use the map if you need to click. As for PVE what purpose does it serve other than letting you know X mobs location which you can do by looking around anyway?

Grouping up just to get branding is silly. That means running two instances which is a waste of resources. Even worse if you use a second computer for it due to power consumption. And what, your second character just stands in town? They'll get kicked for being idle. Have them follow you? Just cut your XP gain in half.

Assuming solo PVP you would be targeting your opponent anyway. If multiple enemies and you are by yourself its not like a TV show where they attack one at a time so it shouldn't be hard to keep track. Plus you'd be targeting them anyway to put a brand on. That is silly.

Branding for PVE serves little to no purpose. It doesn't show up on the maps so you would have to look around for the target anyway. It's not needed for PVE at all, that is why it isn't available solo.

The point of branding is to inform your group things such as order, next target, who to sleep, who to avoid ect.

2 minutes ago, Ele-DN said:

These people must not really pvp....

Or maybe you don't PVP well that you need an icon on top of the thing you are already targeting. If it's 2v1 and you can't remember to keep the other person CC'd because you forget where they are, even though you have a map on the bottom right corner that tells you where they are, that's on you. Or the obviously red or purple name. Kinda stands out. Or the obvious Rank 9 (Or whatever rank they are) title.

2 minutes ago, Foxy Boxy said:

Or maybe you don't PVP well that you need an icon on top of the thing you are already targeting. If it's 2v1 and you can't remember to keep the other person CC'd because you forget where they are, even though you have a map on the bottom right corner that tells you where they are, that's on you. Or the obviously red or purple name. Kinda stands out. Or the obvious Rank 9 (Or whatever rank they are) title.

Marks do more than just that. If you just encountered enemies and assign marks to them, it gives far more info than just having the option to select them when you are in pvp. Out side of that before the pvp start and depending on the situation, it can tell you who is with in range even before they show up on the map. Because of that, you can see IF they decide to return to you to pvp a head of time. 

7 minutes ago, Jake-DN said:

Don't bash Foxy too hard, we all were new at some point.  

Been playing long before you. Nice try. Or do you think a low post count on a forum determines how long someone has played?

35 minutes ago, Forthyn - Asmodaes Pea-k said:

Marking is absolutely helpful, FoxyBoxy, and I feel you really don't understand the full utility of it, how important it is, and how different players have different keybind setups.

Marking is only useful if you cannot pay attention around you or to inform the group what to do.

51 minutes ago, Ele-DN said:

Marks do more than just that. If you just encountered enemies and assign marks to them, it gives far more info than just having the option to select them when you are in pvp. Out side of that before the pvp start and depending on the situation, it can tell you who is with in range even before they show up on the map. Because of that, you can see IF they decide to return to you to pvp a head of time. 

Do you know how to make a text radar? That is much more useful. And unless you are in the abyss and someone is not very smart and keeps coming at you there is no need to see the icon from slightly farther than the map gives.

Honestly it sounds like those of you who are trying to defend this have never really done much PVP other than sieges and the like. Either that or you have really slow response times or are completely oblivious to the stuff around you. If you need an icon to see your opponent, good luck. You are gonna need it. This is coming from someone who used to twink waaaaaay back when rifting was relevant.

Have any of you thought why throughout the years solo Marking was never implemented? Unless it's in this newest version which I have not played at all. Too empty.

@Foxy Boxy
1. Marking allows for quick target — you cannot tab target or click anything that is not on your screen's field of vision. If I'm attacking the Chanter who is marked 2, and the Fear I cast on the Cleric (marked 4) wheeled away and the Fear is about to tick off (timing it), all I have to do is press a button, Fear again, then hit a button to re-target the group's focus target and be on about my business. Clicking and tab targeting is slow, and it would be foolish to change my field of vision from the action in front of me; the time between the seconds matters. It's about efficiency.

2. Marking to "see" the target is beneficial when they are over 80meters away, forewarning is helpful.

3. Text radar is only helpful if the enemy is attacking, being attacked, or buffing near you. If they are simply running around you won't see them unless you're keeping your camera on a full swivel and see them running towards you (or their bubble on the map in the event they are flying above you).

4. Solo marking as been implemented in Retail, and has been a thing for quite some time.

—> "This is coming from someone who used to twink waaaaaay back when rifting was relevant."
Ok. Times have changed since you've been around, but thank you for your dated preferences.

I will address some of your prior comments:

—> "Grouping up just to get branding is silly. That means running two instances which is a waste of resources. Even worse if you use a second computer for it due to power consumption."
This is not such an issue; Classic pulls minimal resources versus Retail as it is, all one needs to do is minimize processes in the second client.

—> "And what, your second character just stands in town? They'll get kicked for being idle."
Target an NPC, and it does not happen.

—> "Assuming solo PVP you would be targeting your opponent anyway. If multiple enemies and you are by yourself its not like a TV show where they attack one at a time so it shouldn't be hard to keep track. Plus you'd be targeting them anyway to put a brand on. That is silly."
See the reason for the enemy running offscreen above. One can also trick the range using the branding method ("target is not within range" error).

So the unfortunate part you keep saying a whole lot of inaccurate stuff that really suggests you don't know what you're talking about. With the unproductive essays that keep dodging the points or derailing the original post, I don't really care to elaborate.  I'll bite this once but guaranteed you're a troll. 

"Been playing long before you. Nice try. Or do you think a low post count on a forum determines how long someone has played?" 

I've been playing since closed beta back in 09, so if played on KR servers you might have a less than a year lead on me. If you didn't, well congrats, no.

"Marking is only useful if you cannot pay attention around you or to inform the group what to do."

Aside from several people giving several genuine responses, branding is for targeting. Most people, especially those on classic who are familiar with the game, don't need to follow marks because they know mob prio in PvE.  It's to quickly target someone in the press of a button as the tab targeting is too wonky and ineffective and slow, and dragging your mouse to click the actual mob/player is even more drastically slower. 

"Do you know how to make a text radar? That is much more useful. And unless you are in the abyss and someone is not very smart and keeps coming at you there is no need to see the icon from slightly farther than the map gives." 

Yes, everyone does. As do they know the death rez animation cancel macro, weave chatlogs and all the other fun stuff. Unfortunately chat logs only log enemy skills/actions, thus if an enemy doesn't use one, it isn't performing. Brands always perform, added with better visibility, it's  just better. 

"Honestly it sounds like those of you who are trying to defend this have never really done much PVP other than sieges and the like."

I can tell you 2 of these posters and myself have far more PvP experience in Aion than yourself. 

"Either that or you have really slow response times or are completely oblivious to the stuff around you. If you need an icon to see your opponent, good luck. You are gonna need it. This is coming from someone who used to twink waaaaaay back when rifting was relevant." 

You literally just said to click a target in a previous post. You can't grasp the fact of how targeting via brands is the fastest way to target someone. You can't talk about response times. 

40 minutes ago, Foxy Boxy said:

Do you know how to make a text radar? That is much more useful. And unless you are in the abyss and someone is not very smart and keeps coming at you there is no need to see the icon from slightly farther than the map gives.

Honestly it sounds like those of you who are trying to defend this have never really done much PVP other than sieges and the like. Either that or you have really slow response times or are completely oblivious to the stuff around you. If you need an icon to see your opponent, good luck. You are gonna need it. This is coming from someone who used to twink waaaaaay back when rifting was relevant.

Have any of you thought why throughout the years solo Marking was never implemented? Unless it's in this newest version which I have not played at all. Too empty.

Text radar is limited info. Only thing that does is show if an enemy is near by if they are popping buffs and what not but doesn't show where they are. North? South? East? West? up/down? if you're in the abyss. If you were pveing a mob and theres an enemy near by, they'll probably spot you way before you can even spot them. Assuming that they're running forward, they would also know your location before you know theirs. Especially with sins/ rangers then they pop hide as they know you're near by and the only the only indication that theres an enemy near by is that they used their hide skill. 

You know live Aion shows enemy on the radar map behind without having to rotate the camera to view them? Unless you play viewing directly top down, theres no other way other than flicking back and forth from looking front to back and clicking on the enemy. or just preassign marks on them and have your camera stationary. 

Twink rifting pvp.... thats rubbish pvp. Ganking players leveling and such? is that even pvp? That is unless both sides are actually looking. But most of the time its not. Only when dredge comes out is when the real pvp happens.

Yup, played Korean as a bunch of Lineage buddies hopped onto it back in the day. I still have my Beta disks too. Wish I could get my wings back, I liked the purple color the 30 wings had.

Are you people all the way zoomed in or something? If someone gets out of line of site from you, you are not tracking them properly unless in an enclosed area where you are fighting the camera (such as in a cave area or in trees).

Yes, brands are visible very slightly before you can see another player. However they are still too far away for anything in terms of targeting. Simply paying attention has the same effect.

I did indeed say clicking a target. I also clearly stated "If you need to click".

If you are going to continue to attempt to make claims at least read things clearly. Not once have I dodged anything. Instead insults have been thrown my way. It's pathetic really. Claiming I am new or bad at PVP.

Forthyn, you are the first to actually answer. Thank you. You must set up a floating quick bar with the select target?

I'm sorry, did Ele just try to say that Dredge is real PVP? For one, that would be in a group setting which we are not talking about. And the amount of times people just train is hilarious. To say rifting isn't real PVP but Dredge is, that's riseable.

13 minutes ago, Foxy Boxy said:

You must set up a floating quick bar with the select target?

I actually have quick keys for common brandings and can access them via my mouse. 1-6, zzz, bomb, etc. And I can set them by using ctrl+whatever key. Number pad work well for this if you don't have a mouse with a bunch of keys either. 

Yeah, confirmed troll. 

Anyways, @Kibbelz please look into this. I know it was a function as far back as the 2.x era days, back over 10 years ago. I just saw someone made a post about it as well in the bug report subsection on the 1st of the month, and has gone completely ignored. 

I'm finding a variety of bugs currently on that note, if there's anyone you'd like to refer for me to reach out to, I'd be happy to share findings.

27 minutes ago, Foxy Boxy said:

Forthyn, you are the first to actually answer. Thank you. You must set up a floating quick bar with the select target?

I use my Num-pad where I assign "brand" and "select" 1 thru 6. I'm left-handed, so my right hand is set up to move, target, cancelling and my left is using skills via naga mouse. If I'm cycling targets, I move via the mouse while casting skills.

Forthyn: I actually had to look it up, did not know they made left handed Naga mice (mouses since its computers?). Do you use just the number pad to move or do you switch from numerical to alphabetical? That is an interesting use case.

Jake: You may want to look up what trolling means as this is far from it. Unless you think others insulting me is me trolling.

Arazith: So you use something like Forthyn's Razer Naga that has the side keys instead. Got it. I've seen videos where people put floating quick bars dang near in the middle of the screen to "click faster".

Ele: Dredge is a 6v6 PVPVE. It is not a solo instance. I mean, I guess if nobody else joined or if they all went AFK (as that happened in Dredge a lot too). And yes, I ignored your comment about ganking as you assume that was the only thing done.

I always felt like brands were totally unnecessary in PvE because Aion's PvE isn't difficult especially post nerf.

PVP? Sure, but I only saw them as useful when I needed to single out a high ranked target in a zerg. But I was usually not solo in these situations.

Maybe it's from decades of FPS experience, but personally I have no issues just clicking a target. Brands always felt like training wheels to me.

How does this conversation exist...of course solo marking is useful for PvP >_>.

It's literally how I paint priority targets (dangerous/valuable) for myself when I'm out and about alone. When my target icon lights up it tells me far more information than my chat log and prevents me from having to manually search them out each time I get a ping on the log. It's particularly useful when you plan to be in the same area for long periods of time and want to have extra awareness of who is nearby. Maybe it's just a sin thing since we have more discretion about when we engage but I 100% want to know if the scary glad/temp/cleric combo platter I marked is rolling up. Even an extra second buys me more time to disengage and potentially avoid a messy death. Nobody is talking about marking 1,2 ,3 so their lizard brain knows who to attack next.

Also, since marking is 100% interpreted by the person doing it, value is also entirely subjective and not worth an attempted debate over. 

Source: Ancient mostly solo pvp boi

19 hours ago, Foxy Boxy said:

Forthyn: I actually had to look it up, did not know they made left handed Naga mice (mouses since its computers?). Do you use just the number pad to move or do you switch from numerical to alphabetical? That is an interesting use case.

For a long time the one I used was discontinued, but recently they brought it back into production due to players pleading with them. 

I use arrow keys to move; all the keys from [Backspace] down and across is keybound specific ways to use with my right hand, it dances across the keys.

Archived