The Lag Issue

Plezurenpain-DN

So the "official word" about this lag we've been having is that it is part of some DDOS attack.  I'm sorry @Cyan but I don't believe this bullcrap.  This has been going on for like 3-4 days that I'm aware of.  This is NOT a DDOS attack that has been going on that long for a game that's not heavily populated.  WOW and other MMOs that have been the victims of DDOS attacks have only had it happen to them for at the most an evening.  I just forked out $65 on this game & planned on spending another $50+ this month to get some stuff from the BCM to both resell for kinah & use on my characters.  I am starting to regret my decision on doing so & seriously reconsidering spending the additional money if you guys can't fix your damn game.

Just to clarify the extent of the lag that is going on right now, it takes me roughtly 3 minutes to go from the teleporter in Sanctum where you teleport in from different zones to run to the in-city teleporter in Sanctum and teleport to the warehouse/broker area & then get to the broker.  Yes that short distance takes roughly 3 minutes because of the constant rubberbanding that goes on.  I walk forward 10 feet  then rubberband back 9 feet & repeat the process until I reach somewhere I want to go.  The game is simply unplayable.  And before anyone says "oh it must be your internet or connection", I'm able to log into WoW and get a whole 20-30MS, log into SWTOR and get under 50MS, but log in here and get 150+ AND the insane rubberbanding.

How do you know it isn't a DDoS attack? 

Your proof seems to be "WoW doesn't get DDoSed for this long". How does that prove a thing?

My beef with this is that it took NCSoft so long to -admit- it was a DDoS. I have no doubt that it actually is one.

They're not targeting THIS game specifically, just NCSoft servers in general, which affects ALL their games.

What makes you think you understand the logic of the people behind the DDoS attacks to begin with? There doesn't need to be a legitimate reason or grievance behind what they do. They do it because they can and because they know they're frustrating people as a result of it.

WoW has significant manpower and resources to throw at mitigating DDoS attacks because they're still subscription based with millions of players. All of NCSoft's games are either B2P or F2P, you just cannot compare the two. Believe it not, the mitigation that NCSoft is doing is actually effective, which is why you're seeing random bursts of lag as opposed to constant disconnects.

Its the fact that this has been going on constantly for 3-4 days is the proof.  That's not how long DDOS attacks last for.  They typically last an evening or 1 day.  WOW isn't the only MMO that has been targeted by DDOS attacks that only lasted an evening or a day.  SWTOR has been attacked and lasted that long too.  LoL has been DDOS attacked like a million times and yet again only lasted an evening or day.  Both of those are F2P games too without as large of playerbase then WoW.

lol, Crunchyroll got attacked now, too. (don't go to the website; it's currently infected with ransomware)

People are just pure shit in this world and do shit things to other people because they can. Whether it's DDoS gaming companies and/or ISPs or infecting popular sites and tools (CCleaner) with malware, there are people who will do it.

Gameforge got DDoS'd for days just a few weeks ago. NCsoft gets DDoS'd for days about every 12-18 months or so. In this case, from what I've heard (not from NCsoft employees), it might not even be a direct attack vs NCsoft, but vs their ISP.

Archived