Help for a noob chanter

Lazalia-DN

Hi all, after playing my chanter alt lately, i have to say it's a really fun class; however i wish to take it further in pve and also start pvping with it, but haven't really an idea on where to go from where i am/what i can get from the class.

PvE wise, i have a PvE mythic AC socketed mostly with crit/hp (1200 crit 1100atk ~18k HP fully buffed), and my dps sits at 2.5k ~ 2.8k most of the time. In your experience am I a bad chanter or i need to get better stats (ie socketing precision and power) to get a decent dps? I'd like to get a stable 3.5-4k dps, but I don't know if chanters are even capable of that.

As for the PvP, i don't have much clues on how to get into it. I have been told that i need different sets to be effective a block/agility , a mr/ms set and a dps set. What are the stats numbers am I aiming for? Given that this is an alt and I dont have much kinah to sink into gearing it, which set should I prioritize to get started with arenas?

Thanks in advance

I can't really speak to the PvE stuff but for getting into PvP I would prioritize your offensive set first, especially if you wanna do Discipline or any other solo PvP content. A defensive Chanter can be annoying certain circumstances but it'll be unlikely to be a winning build. Offensive Chanter, however, can be a highly effective striker against basically every other melee and does fairly well against casters as well. You'll want to make sure to socket a fair bit of Precision in your gear (as you can) to ensure your MA is high enough to land all your stuns n whatnot (I'll let someone else chime in with the #s you'll want on that). Basically your offensive set will be mostly Precision/Power.

As for what set you should shoot for I can't really recommend anything under the 70 ap set based on how enchanting works now. The spinels/ap aren't too bad and even if you get the 70 set instead of the 75 you can always purify it later. The arena set is a little outdated now if you want to be competitive but it'll serve you well as placeholder pieces with decent %'s on em and can also be used for future defensive sets (I think arena chain is decent for block? Not the best, obviously, but functional).

I'd also recommend trying to get a Provenance Staff for extendable goodness. Makes a huge difference for PvP and it's stats are nice for PvE as well, though there are better options for that. 

Lastly, as a kinah saving strategy, make sure to run your Luna Weekly instance and do the 7-week quest on every character you can. At the end of the 7 weeks you can pull 90 +6 manastones of your choice out of the box you get for it. 90 stones can go a long way and +6 stones are perfectly acceptable for a budget set. 

25 minutes ago, Avin-BR said:

Nice tips! If you don't mind me asking, what are the 7-week quests to do on every character?

Fest refers to the two Luna solo instances. Contaminated Underpath allows you one free entry every day. Munitions Factory allows you one free entry per week. Accept the related quests from Eli (blue pigtail NPC at Panda/Sanctum, Norsvold/Illuma, etc).

2 hours ago, Vantheria-IS said:

Fest refers to the two Luna solo instances. Contaminated Underpath allows you one free entry every day. Munitions Factory allows you one free entry per week. Accept the related quests from Eli (blue pigtail NPC at Panda/Sanctum, Norsvold/Illuma, etc).

Yep, and the item you want is in the far right chest at the end of the instance.

25 minutes ago, Asniel-IS said:

I did make a chanter alt just to try the class and is fun, i like it.

Yeah I started mine a few months ago and ended up really liking it! Quickly became my new favorite alt, glad you like it as well! The world always needs more Chanters. :)

Right off the bat, I would do the DPS set, then Block, then MR.  Agility set is a luxury and msupp is kind of outdated since you would have to socket blood medal mythic with the old magic supp 50s that you can't hardly find anymore.  Its still going to cost a ton alone to socket 3 sets of gear with good stones plus enchanting them to 15.  At least the MR set will/should be the ap75 set so at least that part is free.  Personally I have two boundless sets, one for dps and one for block.  Again that is going to be pricey and keep in mind they stripped our shields with this patch so you are going to have to spend more money coming up with a couple of shields.  I again went boundless for my block shield and I don't remember what I have for MR.  You also (if money allows) want a nice block and mr bracelet and then you should be pretty much set to do whatever you want.   Setting up your gear swaps and custom skill chains are just as important as your gear.  Again, I set up two different skill bars UI depending on if I socketed support stigs or dps stigs.

2 hours ago, Gabe-TM said:

Right off the bat, I would do the DPS set, then Block, then MR.  Agility set is a luxury and msupp is kind of outdated since you would have to socket blood medal mythic with the old magic supp 50s that you can't hardly find anymore.  Its still going to cost a ton alone to socket 3 sets of gear with good stones plus enchanting them to 15.  At least the MR set will/should be the ap75 set so at least that part is free.  Personally I have two boundless sets, one for dps and one for block.  Again that is going to be pricey and keep in mind they stripped our shields with this patch so you are going to have to spend more money coming up with a couple of shields.  I again went boundless for my block shield and I don't remember what I have for MR.  You also (if money allows) want a nice block and mr bracelet and then you should be pretty much set to do whatever you want.   Setting up your gear swaps and custom skill chains are just as important as your gear.  Again, I set up two different skill bars UI depending on if I socketed support stigs or dps stigs.

I'm thinking of getting my DPS set first then work on my MR set afterwards since getting the boundless pieces for Block is quite impossible nowadays... can u pls tell me what kind of shield do you use for your MR? Thanks in advance. 

I have to disagree with the above. Because of the buffs to precision in Aion 5.6, it doesn't take very much to break through even the strongest block set; you get more accuracy from precision stones than you get block from hp stones.

I realize that it's hard to break tradition, and I understand that many chanters will continue to disagree with me solely on the grounds that "chanters are a support class", but I personally believe that the traditional pseudo-cleric style where you spam heals and pop buffs in a mace/shield has been severely outdated since Aion 4.7. You are a semi-tank with single-target heals, instant-cast shields and buffs, and the BEST physical crowd control in the game. There is no reason for you to heal the entire fight because your heals per second can't beat an equally geared DPSer's damage per second in the long run, and considering the fact that chanters are relatively tanky already and can only use the full potential of their physical CC with a staff, there is absolutely no reason for you to sit in a defensive set unless you're fighting a specific class 1v1 during a specific kill window. 

My advise is to make a strong precision/power set that you plan on using for a long time. Only make an MR set if you want to beat magic classes 1v1. Don't make a block set.

Regardless of people opinions, get the 3 sets.  The whole game to being a chanter is total flexibility.  If the group you are in snags two clerics then game on, you roll dps.  If they only snag one cleric go support.  Anyone that says you don't need a block or an mr set must just sit around in town all day chatting and vending.  There are going to be times, lets say idgel for example or even OW where the opposing team is stacked heavy either physical or magic and with idgel especially, its going to be your job most of the time to control the relic and collect points while the rest of the team fights and heals.  You need to be able to resist an interrupt (not possible all the time I know) but not having either set definitely eliminates the possibility of you resisting anything.  OW is a different scenario but again if you have the gear swaps set up and ready to go, you literally get to fight and swap gear from target to target.  Why be stubborn and run around in a dps set if you keep getting bursted down by magic.  Go mr, survive the magic then gear swap back.  Its not breaking tradition, its playing your role and class.

Actually in this path 5.6 is not worth a set block, I personally use but have not had much effect in a real fight, group or solo, a set ap 75 or 70 +15 have been the best choice to get you started, give preference to the following ManaStones: Power> Precision> Attack> MA> Crit, I have a lot of alts but lately my chanter is my main and strongest, we can destroy any class in PVP 1v1, but magical classes seem to have an advantage over us, in order My umilde opinion): SW> Gunner> SM, in general Chanter is a class extremely easy and fun to play. They have a EU chanter who inspires me he is very good at pvp. 

4 hours ago, Gabe-TM said:

Regardless of people opinions, get the 3 sets.  The whole game to being a chanter is total flexibility.  If the group you are in snags two clerics then game on, you roll dps.  If they only snag one cleric go support.  Anyone that says you don't need a block or an mr set must just sit around in town all day chatting and vending.  There are going to be times, lets say idgel for example or even OW where the opposing team is stacked heavy either physical or magic and with idgel especially, its going to be your job most of the time to control the relic and collect points while the rest of the team fights and heals.  You need to be able to resist an interrupt (not possible all the time I know) but not having either set definitely eliminates the possibility of you resisting anything.  OW is a different scenario but again if you have the gear swaps set up and ready to go, you literally get to fight and swap gear from target to target.  Why be stubborn and run around in a dps set if you keep getting bursted down by magic.  Go mr, survive the magic then gear swap back.  Its not breaking tradition, its playing your role and class.

"If the group you are in snags two clerics then game on, you roll dps"

I disagree with this. You are extremely flexible in support spec but fairly limited in dps spec. In support spec, you can DPS, heal, and pop buffs. In dps spec, you're pretty much committed to DPS; the only plus side to DPS spec is that your crowd control potential is a bit higher.

"Anyone that says you don't need a block or an mr set must just sit around in town all day chatting and vending."

You make it seem like theory-crafting and learning through discussion is a bad thing. Personally, I respect sitting around in town, thinking things through, and sharing ideas with other people.

"its going to be your job most of the time to control the relic and collect points while the rest of the team fights and heals"

I strongly disagree with this. Why would you force your team into a 5v6 situation when you can contribute, wipe the enemy team, and then capture the relics?

"Why be stubborn and run around in a dps set if you keep getting bursted down by magic.  Go mr, survive the magic then gear swap back.  Its not breaking tradition, its playing your role and class."

You shouldn't be getting bursted down by magic, though. In group PvP, the glass cannons get targeted first. Chanters are and should be one of the last classes to focus down. Going MR to survive magic DPS works perfectly in 1v1; it does not work well in group PvP since you're one of the last to be targeted in the first place on top of the fact that you can't crowd control in an MR set.

My comment on breaking tradition is referring to the fact that most chanters even today still turtle in a defensive set in group PvP. The traditional way of playing chanter is to turtle in a defensive set and spam heals/buffs like a cleric, which was absolutely viable before the stigma update somewhere around Aion 4.7. My point is that you should prioritize making a power/precision set because you should NOT use a defensive set in group PvP as a chanter because you should NOT be playing like a cleric.

In my opinion, chanter is one of those classes that you just have to discover how it best fits *your* play style. It's not like ranger where your job is ranged dps and nothing else. Chanters were given dps skills, heals, and buffs; we're obviously intended to use them all in some form or fashion. You just need to discover how it all works for you. For me, I usually keep a 28% DPS, 72% support stigma set up and focus on power and agility for my gear/stats. I use all types of skills at my disposal. I like being hybrid. But that might be totally unlikable for someone else's play style. Someone else may prefer to do nothing but DPS or nothing but support. I may not *agree* with that style for myself, but it doesn't make the other player wrong (or me wrong).

I think some of us lose sight of the fact that this is a game, and games are meant to be fun. If you're forcing yourself to play a class the way others want you to play it, then you're not truly enjoying yourself, are you? All that said, be up front with groups about your play style. If they're advertising "OW support build," and you KNOW you have no support stigmas and rarely heal, then don't apply. There will be other groups for you.

25 minutes ago, Vantheria-IS said:

In my opinion, chanter is one of those classes that you just have to discover how it best fits *your* play style. It's not like ranger where your job is ranged dps and nothing else. Chanters were given dps skills, heals, and buffs; we're obviously intended to use them all in some form or fashion. You just need to discover how it all works for you. For me, I usually keep a 28% DPS, 72% support stigma set up and focus on power and agility for my gear/stats. I use all types of skills at my disposal. I like being hybrid. But that might be totally unlikable for someone else's play style. Someone else may prefer to do nothing but DPS or nothing but support. I may not *agree* with that style for myself, but it doesn't make the other player wrong (or me wrong).

I think some of us lose sight of the fact that this is a game, and games are meant to be fun. If you're forcing yourself to play a class the way others want you to play it, then you're not truly enjoying yourself, are you? All that said, be up front with groups about your play style. If they're advertising "OW support build," and you KNOW you have no support stigmas and rarely heal, then don't apply. There will be other groups for you.

I agree that part of the fun in Aion is discovering your own play style, but the OP is clearly new and looking for advise. I don't think there's anything wrong with making a thread asking for perspectives on how to gear and play this class.

You need a solid foundation before branching off and being creative. 

I played as a DPS chanter for so long and went full support last year and I'm not one of the mindless chanters that JUST sit around and heal/buff. I have 8 sets of gear for varying things. But let's just say I'm in IDL, I take the relic/points, but I also heal, I also abuse binding word on melees and inescapable judgement. If someone is messing with the cleric too much I go over and slap them around till their attention is on me. If the whole group's attention is on me or the hardest dps is on me, that's good, gives my group time to kill the others. I get player aggro pretty hard a lot of the time because I don't just sit around healing and buffing. I do everything I can. Use Tremor or Stilling Word, switching between my DPS set and Support sets quickly.

I remember an OW where some sorc Fireformed and I kept using binding word and stunning them (basically being a huge nuisance), to the point they focused on me and ran after me. To which I ran off and they kept chasing, my group wiped his while he was focusing on me.

I have silence godstone on my MR set and blind on my Block set cuz I do 'dps' sometimes with a mace, even if it doesn't do much damage, the debuffs/stuns/godstone procs help a lot. The biggest mistake a group can make is to leave me alone. I multi-task hardcore in pvp groups as support.

Archived