Time to say goodbye to GameGuard?

KallSu-KT

So, after seeing some (fake) pictures of Lineage II, I browsed the official website until I remembered that it's an NCSoft game, so I closed. BUT... (and this is also the reason that remembered me how good is NCSoft at dealing with hackers and finding always new ways to improve our gaming experience) I made in time to read this:

Below you’ll find a few noteworthy items and updates coming in the month of July.

Security Update

In our ongoing efforts to combat unauthorized 3rd-party tools, we’ve invested into a completely new security solution.

When the security update is live, GameGuard will no longer be required to connect to the servers.

A new tool will take the place of GameGuard and be required to install and run to continue playing Lineage II.

There will be an unspecified break-in period with the new tools—we’ll be monitoring and troubleshooting issues it may cause, such as disconnections or update errors and compatibility with certain applications.

The decision to make this change came with the goal of having greater control over our security tools, and allowing us to react much quicker to existing and emerging cheat tools.

Is it also time for Aion to abandon this appreciated spyware software? I guess it would be probably remembered as just useless at best.

We haven't had GameGuard in ages. We are using XingCode now and surprise, surprise! It is also being accused of being spyware. How exactly do you think an anti-cheat can be effective if it doesn't spy on what you are doing on your machine?

That being said, Xing isn't working for Aion. No idea why. It reportedly worked really well on other games and I was hopeful. My fault. I should have known better.

Awful anti-cheats like Xigncode spy at a low-privilege level which means any competent cheat coder can easily bypass it. The only people Xigncode successfully spies on are legitimate users. Popular plug-and-play anti-cheats don't work on any game period. The only moderately successful anti-cheats are all proprietary and exclusive.

Sorry, I mistook Xigncode for GameGuard. I know that all the anti-cheat sw are basically spyware, but some of them spy for a reason at least. I don't see Xigncode useful at preventing real cheaters from playing.

Anyway, end of my reveries. Maybe the new more powerful anti-cheat sw for Lineage is indeed Xigncode :/

On 7/24/2018 at 3:16 AM, Okie-DN said:

Awful anti-cheats like Xigncode spy at a low-privilege level which means any competent cheat coder can easily bypass it. The only people Xigncode successfully spies on are legitimate users. Popular plug-and-play anti-cheats don't work on any game period. The only moderately successful anti-cheats are all proprietary and exclusive.

You can call it awful all you like but it is obvious that Xigncode is good at catching 1 thing in-particular but 3 of the biggest problems in lots of games. This was made clear from the recent bans people are receiving in BDO

1) Same path identification. 

2) movement speed hacks.

3) skill CD hacks.

BDO is proof that the 3 things above can be caught with Xigncode. Go read up on BDO news/join the community discords and you will find out how well Xigncode works for these 3 things. To me it comes down to the company and the way they are choosing to use the information.

12 hours ago, HealingSquid-KT said:

You can call it awful all you like but it is obvious that Xigncode is good at catching 1 thing in-particular but 3 of the biggest problems in lots of games. This was made clear from the recent bans people are receiving in BDO

1) Same path identification. 

2) movement speed hacks.

3) skill CD hacks.

BDO is proof that the 3 things above can be caught with Xigncode. Go read up on BDO news/join the community discords and you will find out how well Xigncode works for these 3 things. To me it comes down to the company and the way they are choosing to use the information.

It is awful, the fact that bdo banned a couple of ppl for cheating has nothing with what he said

Archived