Where is the chat filter

Am I missing something . I can't find the chat filter settings and am still getting bombarded by Kina sellers. I thought todae=ys patch was to give us a chat filter.  I am tired of having to block the Kina sellers spam in LFG. Please tell me what I am supposed to do !! 

The chat filter is just a file of terms that should be blocked. The Kinah sellers find a way to get around this filter so it will need to constantly be updated. You can actually update it manually if you'd like too, but it requires editing the file.

It seems the file is located in ...\NCSOFT\AION_CLASSIC\l10n\ENU\Data\Strings\aionfilterline.dat

They could give more info about this, most people have no clue where it was supposed to be.

Anyway, you right click on it and you click edit, then it opens with notepad and you simply add a new word to be blocked in every line.

One of the things it blocks for example is the "www" because it is used in linking a site. Kinah sellers might get past this by writing something like "w.w.w" but you can block that phrase too you can add it manually.

Every time you see an lfg spam and the way they went around the filters, just go and add this word they use and it will be filtered out.

Edited by Arhangelos-KT

49 minutes ago, Energy said:

The premade words/phrases weren't really doing the trick. After adding $ to the list I have yet to see any more spam.

I also added "$" in the file and it removed them all for now, until the GMs also put it in the official file too and the kinah sellers see that it is being blocked so they won't use it anymore and use something else.

I assume the official file is being made according to the reports the players send. But it doesn't get an effect instantly. So it is good we can edit the file and make changes faster on ourselves.

I think you also need to reopen the client for the changes to take effect. Not sure if going to char screen is enough. I'll give it a check now.

Edit: seems going to char screen is reloading the file.

Edited by Arhangelos-KT

11 minutes ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

So it is good we can edit the file and make changes faster on ourselves.

Yes, that's really a blessing. I just wonder how many people even know about the file though. I knew I was looking for the filter in world and asking my guildies about it after the maint.

1 hour ago, Energy said:

Yes, that's really a blessing. I just wonder how many people even know about the file though. I knew I was looking for the filter in world and asking my guildies about it after the maint.

I don't think many do because people are complaining about kinah sellers in LFG all the time. I can't see them because I edited the file as soon as they popped up after maintenance. The best additions to the chat filter I have made so far was adding "WTB" and "WTS" it make LFG finally useful again.

5 hours ago, Energy said:

3 hours ago, Alvie said:

I don't think many do because people are complaining about kinah sellers in LFG all the time. I can't see them because I edited the file as soon as they popped up after maintenance. The best additions to the chat filter I have made so far was adding "WTB" and "WTS" it make LFG finally useful again.

I feel the reason they never gave out the location and how easy it is to add filters because they want to do it on their side officially for everyone via the maintenance updates.

I'll add that WTB and WTS too, I am not interested in seeing anyone advertising his sales on broker.

After I found the file and added it, it is a lot better. Also is good to know about going to Charater screen to reload the file, so thanks all for the info. Since I am 69 years old I am a little slow with computer stuff lol. I played this game when it first came out I still have a couple of characters with the "Settler of Aion" Title  in Th Regular game. 

10 minutes ago, MissBeeHaven-DN said:

After I found the file and added it, it is a lot better. Also is good to know about going to Charater screen to reload the file, so thanks all for the info. Since I am 69 years old I am a little slow with computer stuff lol. I played this game when it first came out I still have a couple of characters with the "Settler of Aion" Title  in Th Regular game. 

Once you get the hang of editing the file, all that remains is working out what  text to block. There are no hard and fast rules, you basically block the things which annoy you most.

A couple of tips, keep a backup of the filter file just in case NCsoft push out an update which overwrites your current version,  and you loose the changes you made. Secondly keep your own additions up near the top of the file so they are easy to cut and paste as a chunk into whatever new file NCsoft issue in the future.

Edited by Alvie

Well today after the update I added what I Had saved to the file, still having one get through it is ThreeW.P2PAH.COM. I have added that and Register, Register-, Get Coupons, Register Get Coupons, Register- Get Coupons, Kinah, $, 2$. These are all things in the spam that is getting through. Any help on what anyone else has done to stop these I already blocked 5 of them. Edited my aionfilterline.dat file then went  to Character screen  to reload . still getting through so I logged and signed back in and they are still getting through. Thanks all.

Something is broken after the maintenance update.

I knew it was too good to be true, a chat filter that actually worked for a week has been disabled by the NCsoft West.

Oh well, I guess it's time to disable channel 3/LFG chat again....sigh...

Edited by Alvie

It seems they didn't disable it, they just changed the format of the file it wanted. If you have the filter github bookmarked, it's been updated with the new file format (which is still, at its heart, the same text file, just packaged a little differently. I updated to it about 10 minutes ago, and haven't gotten any of the spam I've been seeing all afternoon (so far, anyways!)

1 hour ago, Cerae said:

It seems they didn't disable it, they just changed the format of the file it wanted. If you have the filter github bookmarked, it's been updated with the new file format (which is still, at its heart, the same text file, just packaged a little differently. I updated to it about 10 minutes ago, and haven't gotten any of the spam I've been seeing all afternoon (so far, anyways!)

I tried that  .pak file from github, it doesn't block the WTS and WTB spam in LFG.

55 minutes ago, Alvie said:

I tried that  .pak file from github, it doesn't block the WTS and WTB spam in LFG.

It shouldn't block tbh. It should only block bot spams.

I've updated mine too: https://github.com/loadrng/aion-classic-mods

If you like you can open the .dat file in any text editor, add the WTB and WTS lines, then make a zip file with the .dat file inside it, and then rename the .zip file to .pak.

😃

• Aion Team
19 hours ago, Loadrng said:

Chat filter is no longer working!!! FFS!!

Even if you edit it again after maintenance it still doesn't filter bots.

You can check mine here @Kibbelz https://github.com/loadrng/aion-classic-mods

Hey ya'll - I will take a look into this with our Game Team. I do know we recently added a formally supported Chat Filter. Currently, the team member I was working on this with is out on vacation for a week, but my hope is that when he returns we can share more information on how to utilize it.

It sounds like Cerae and others are figuring out how to leverage the tool, but we'll def share more details soon on it. Sorry to hear that it might have interrupted your existing filter tools :(