Returning player after 4.7

Athraim-DN

Used to main cleric, last hiatus and left the game when the high daeva weirdness came up.

Took a peek back in recently and not sure what to feel about the transformations, bracelet and skillbook enchants or even manastone slot expansion in armor.

Understand there's a lot of talk and looking forward to classic, but is retail worth playing anymore? Casually on another class of course ... not going to fret over rebuilding several sets for a cleric again while healing capacity is still damaged. 

I don't want to sound like all the 20-year-old trolls around here and their JuSt RuN aWaY LoL but... this game is not kind to new/returning players. If you decide to come back, you MUST have the casual mindset of "I will play how I want and not be upset that everyone else can 1-shot me in pvp." If you're a pve king, you'll be all right fairly soon. If you only pvp, you will never again be happy in this game. I'm sorry, I know that sounds dramatic lol. Everyone hits so so hard and so so fast, you will die instantly. Even geared people die nearly instantly. There is no skill in pvp anymore. It's just a matter of who gets the drop first because of high attack stat and maxed attack/cast speed.

That said, now would be a good time to come back because of the ongoing Stormwing Egg event, but there's only a month left, so you'd have to hurry to farm out all of the shards required to make it to the max level egg.

If you like healing (main healing, not backup healing), roll chanter. Chanters and clerics basically switched places. Chanters are currently main healers in endgame, both here and in KR's current patch. Clerics and songweavers are backup heals. (Clerics and SW CAN main heal some/many things, but need the gear to do so. Chanter is more returning user friendly for healing.)

.t 28 year old troll

Just run away and don't look back!

No, seriously though. If you enjoyed Aion as it was in 4.7? Hell, if you enjoyed Aion as it was in any of the 5.x patches? Walk away now.  The game as it is now is more or less dead and not at all for the people who enjoyed Aion of the past. Classic MIGHT be coming to the West but don't trust NCSoft to ever make good decisions.

I, like you, tried to come back multiple times, OP. I came back in 5.X and actually enjoyed it a bit, even though the P2W was getting out of control I was still able to stay competitive enough to have fun. 6.0 was an absolute nightmare, 7.0 increased the nightmare to a night terror, and 8.0 will probably burn me alive and throw me in a river.

I just lurk these days, waiting for any official news on Classic.

One thing I will say though, is if you aren't interested in competitive gameplay, perhaps there's some enjoyment you can get just out of experiencing new content.. the problem is... it's not REALLY new content, just copy and paste zones from back in the day with new levels and mobs.

Just do yourself a favor if you do play and don't throw your money away on this game. The last 3 patches have literally just thrown away top tier P2W items that then have to be replaced with entirely new P2W items and re-enchanted all over again, and 8.0 releases in 2 weeks in KR, and won't be long off in NA, if it even survives until then.

13 hours ago, Athraim-DN said:

Used to main cleric, last hiatus and left the game when the high daeva weirdness came up.

Took a peek back in recently and not sure what to feel about the transformations, bracelet and skillbook enchants or even manastone slot expansion in armor.

Understand there's a lot of talk and looking forward to classic, but is retail worth playing anymore? Casually on another class of course ... not going to fret over rebuilding several sets for a cleric again while healing capacity is still damaged. 

The question "is it worth playing anymore" is always best answered by your own experience. Like @Vantheria-DN said, the Stormwing event going on right now makes this the PERFECT time to come back and give it a shot. Dedicate yourself to maxing out your stormwing (only like 20-30min of effort on any single day) in the 3-ish weeks left and the rewards it will give you will catch you up to the average joe in the game. My two cents would be to get those free catch-up resources like free selectable T2 Legendary transform, A Grade minion, oodles of enchantment stones, deavanion skills, etc, and then just go forth and see what you can make of it.

I think an effort should be made to be social and make connections with people/legions because the patch is much easier if you've got support. It is, after all, an MMO. Don't panic about all the new systems because a lot of them are passive and a lot of things (like the manastone expansion you mentioned) are non-issues once you've played for like 4 days and gathered the very basic resources.

PVE is PVE, there is some fun mechanic-heavy hard mode PVE to play around if that's your cup of tea. PVP is high damage and fast strikes, and at end-game basically any class can 3-shot any other class given the right circumstances. Learning what everyone's shield/evade icons are and how to bolster yourself in the 1-second window you have to make critical decisions will take time. Ultimately if you're here to be the #1 King PVPer Overlord of Aion then it's not for you, but as you said "casually" I'll assume you'll just be doing duels with friends and big zergy messy open world group PVP which is still good fun in my opinion.

For casual play you will probably want a class which doesn't depend on multiple sets for being viable, so in other words a DPS of some kind. After all, an AT or a Templar doesn't have to make both a DPS set and a heal set :P So yeah, I'd say give it a go with all the free goodies you can earn right now (read up on the Stormwing event) and decide for yourself :)

Easiest way to decide is, Do you have friends to play with? Do you have people you know in game that still play? If not then depends on if there are legions on your races server that are active. Playing the game solo or with random pugs every now and again will just kill your motivation in this game.

Unlike many other games, with Aion, the release new content and 33% is just random stuff that is just for fun do it if you wish is not a thing here. 100% of new added things to the game are 100% must have things. So this can be extremely overwhelming to players. It means for people who have taken such a large break you will come back see the stuff and wonder how will you possibly be able to get everything as well as making it really hard for you to quit because if you decide to come back thinking of all the stuff you will miss. You can get all the stuff you want and pretty much every single thing can be obtained f2p depending on the time and effort you put into the game but I will not lie its A LOT. Like the you will never get it all type of a lot. If you are just casual to have fun friends is the biggest factor without them its really hard to have strong will to keep grinding all the things that are in the game being 100% honest.

PvE yes is fine it has gotten to the point where end game is very hard and require pre grinding passive stats in addition to having the gear and knowing the mechanics of the instance. No more just lets brute force our way through this and it will work out fine.

PvP has very little benefits for the for fun run around and PvP everyone out in the field. It is also extremely min-max and extremely gear and passive stat dependant as you can see from the massive complaints being posted in due to recent events with the current event.

In the end the game is fun I still enjoy it there is good and bad you have to be able to take both but really if you are playing alone it may be okay at first but overtime it will get more and more miserable. I made a fresh account just shy of 11 months ago for my wife to play with me on another server since some friends left my old server. The whole account is very geared but we have poured blood sweat and tears (many profanities, ritual prayers, pleads to RNJesus) into the account in leiu of money to the point I say sure I didn't really spend any money on the account but I am sure as nyerk not f2p because of the insane amount of TIME I put into the account. <- WFH and Covid is how this happened seeing as I mean like 8-16 hr per day kind of time

I tried to list all the negatives because people on the forums generally only hear the anti hate of the game side of me and I just wanted to be real about the issues of the game the next update has some nice Quality of Life changes and casually you can still enjoy the game but everyone is different and it is your time you are spending to play. Try it out its the best time with the current event going on if you do not like it stop playing before you dedicate too much time and get upset over it like many of the other people who only post hate of the game here on the forums but play 24/7 on the game. >.>

Up to you friend I wish you the best whether you decide to come back or not

@Vantheria-DN - Thank you so much for mentioning the event! I will give it a shot. 

I did do some preliminary research about the skill changes and noticed that about chanters being main healers now ... not sure what NCSoft was smoking when making that decision. I did put some feelers out about what is songweaver like currently and was pretty disappointed. I like having access to heals, but was thinking of going Vandal instead now for a change of pace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Vinley-KT - I loved Aion for the flying and the lore. I very much don't like how many of the regions are gone. 

I used to spend a lot of money on this game. Not looking to anymore for sure, since it doesn't look in good shape. Just something casual for old time's memories ... It's pretty strange feeling since recently I picked back up another old game, SWTOR too, and they did such an excellent job of improving a game from the best of its base characteristics. Still can't believe NCSoft, on the other hand, decided to literally nuke everything. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@AriaTheMelodious-DN - I guess that's what makes me most hesitant, the fact returning means also starting from scratch socially. ^^; Originally I just got very burnt out since cleric was like a second job rather than fun. I'll see what is going on with the legions. 

@ErzaScarletxFT - I actually didn't bother with the High Daeva patch because it was just a bomb of new information, and cleric'ing was stressful enough. ^^; I did like the idea of the elemental transformations. 

Just to mention in case there was a misunderstanding no one is saying you cannot heal on Cleric or SW just Chanters are far easier to heal on effectively and have very little dmg loss from being spec to heal. The game is very much now everyone must do dmg in PvE this is 100% the case for the very last instances you are putting so much burden on your group if the healer does no dmg. You are essentially telling your group you must make up for an extra person. This is why Chanter is the best choice their PvE dmg is not that amazing but as the healer they can still do roughly equal dmg plus heal with 0 issue at the same time. This cannot be said for Cleric and Songweaver in PvE since if they take the HB boost they lose atk if they don't take it you don't have as high base and consistency as Chanter so you have to put more into heal than a Chanter would.

For PvP different story you don't have to have the healer do dmg they are on weewoo weewoo emergency support so you can be whatever heal class you wish to be in PvP they all work great. They obviously have differences and strengths and weaknesses but they all work fine as healers in PvP

Archived