Now thinking about it, 4.7 was the worst patch Aion ever had

xiilieaxz-DN

Like literally, almost everything was so bad it was a disaster. No wonder I quit back then. Now hold your horses and stop getting mad at me complaining, I just want to give feedback.

Levinshor

Just a gankfest map with no other real purpose that split the population from Katalam and Danaria.

Kaldor

Way overtuned siege that went dead within a couple of weeks of release. And another dead map.

They could have continued with the 2-maps-per-expansion but chose to add 2 useless maps.

Panesterra

Elitist raid that favored the high ranks and left out other players. And it's also a lottery on who can get in. It's like the rich becoming richer with GP and the poor can just nyerk off.

New loading screens

They replaced the amazing original loading screens that gave you a different loading screen for each map to just a few new loading screens that quickly got repetitive and boring.

In case you haven't seen the old loading screens, be amazed: http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showthread.php?t=143110

Campaign overhaul

This was the reason why leveling became boring and the game felt dead all the way to end game. They took the campaign out of every instance that there was no more reason to do Steel Rake, Draupnir Cave, Dark Poeta and every other instance. Before that, it was still easy to find people on LFG to do them.

So many interesting campaign quests were nuked (like the one where you had to lure the krall to the guards and they beat the shit out of him) and replaced with dull and boring kill quests.

And worst still, their haphazard way of updating left the lore broken and nonsensical at some points. For example, after the last Karamatis mission, you no longer have a chance to talk to Israphel/Lephar, and then suddenly Fasimedes calls him Lephar out of nowhere.

Purification system

Just making item upgrading more and more complicated so new players don't even understand how it works anymore.

Illusion godstones

Need more P2W rng? Then try out godstones with higher proc chances! But only rich people can afford to keep rebuying them over and over after they break.

And of course, instead of blaming this disastrous update, they chose to blame it on and take it out on 3.0 and 4.0, and ruined the game even further in 4.8.

TLDR: This was when Aion truly died.

I don't think anyone ever said 4.7 was a better patch than 4.8

All everybody complain was about removed 4 maps and replaced with Cygnea/Enshar.
4.8 was a better patch and a good patch only mistake it did was removal of Sarpan/Tia/Kat/Dan too bad this mistake is a huge one make people hate 4.8 including me.

It could be saved if every instance is saved as original not turn into solo boring ones.

19 minutes ago, Neleth-KT said:

I don't think anyone ever said 4.7 was a better patch than 4.8

All everybody complain was about removed 4 maps and replaced with Cygnea/Enshar.
4.8 was a better patch and a good patch only mistake it did was removal of Sarpan/Tia/Kat/Dan too bad this mistake is a huge one make people hate 4.8 including me.

It could be saved if every instance is saved as original not turn into solo boring ones.

That's why I made this thread. While bashing 4.8 or 5.8 or 6.0, we all forgot where it truly began.

The only problems of 4.8 were the removal of still popular zones and having them replaced with crappy ones. In every other aspect (except maybe Legion Villages and DD's entries), it was really good. The rework for stigmas and skill overhaul was fenomenal. Unfortunately, due to how relevant the drawbacks were, it is valid to consider it the worst patch.

People like 4.7 because it was the moment when we had everything available to us. The new maps were only meant to be relevant for special events and a replacement for the incoming 4.8 changes.

Kaldor was only meant to be an active map at certain times; clashes between EB alliances and siege. Just look at the layout. In a way Tiamaranta was only meant to be a siege map, but it had more stuff to do. The issue that Kaldor had was the immense HP pool of its deities and the credit zones. All this was fixed in 4.9 however. Levinshor's only problem was the HP of camp captains, making the camp farming there more of a waste than anything.

This is the patch where temperance was added, but accessories had a 5 level limit. Same with plumes, but they were a non-issue. What really triggers people is the importance of tempering in later patches. That doesnt make this patch bad.

Panesterra was never nothing about elitism. It is solely about luck getting in, nothing more, nothing less. The only possible drama is about servers preplanning who were getting what fortresses and loot from Ahserion. But that was all the players' fault, not the siege.

The campaign stuff, we have discussed this before. And purification... I will just skip this, because it wont go anywhere. Loading screens is the only thing I can agree with.

1 hour ago, Bryos-DN said:

The only problems of 4.8 were the removal of still popular zones and having them replaced with crappy ones. In every other aspect (except maybe Legion Villages and DD's entries), it was really good. The rework for stigmas and skill overhaul was phenomenal. Unfortunately, due to how relevant the drawbacks were, it is valid to consider it the worst patch.

This is why I hate 4.8 and why it is the worst patch for me out of all the patches from launch even until now, even with the hateful insanity that is 5.X.

Levinshor

Just a gankfest map with no other real purpose that split the population from Katalam and Danaria.

Kaldor

Way overtuned siege that went dead within a couple of weeks of release. And another dead map.

They could have continued with the 2-maps-per-expansion but chose to add 2 useless maps.

Agree. Levinshor is the worst map ever, with Kaldor a close second.  

Agree about the loading screens too.  Thanks for the link to the old ones, it's good to see them again!

About the illusion godstones: By the time mine broke I'd forgotten that it was one so buying a new one wasn't asking much.  It might be based on hours played.

5 hours ago, Bryos-DN said:

The only problems of 4.8 were the removal of still popular zones and having them replaced with crappy ones. In every other aspect (except maybe Legion Villages and DD's entries), it was really good. The rework for stigmas and skill overhaul was fenomenal. Unfortunately, due to how relevant the drawbacks were, it is valid to consider it the worst patch.

People like 4.7 because it was the moment when we had everything available to us. The new maps were only meant to be relevant for special events and a replacement for the incoming 4.8 changes.

Kaldor was only meant to be an active map at certain times; clashes between EB alliances and siege. Just look at the layout. In a way Tiamaranta was only meant to be a siege map, but it had more stuff to do. The issue that Kaldor had was the immense HP pool of its deities and the credit zones. All this was fixed in 4.9 however. Levinshor's only problem was the HP of camp captains, making the camp farming there more of a waste than anything.

This is the patch where temperance was added, but accessories had a 5 level limit. Same with plumes, but they were a non-issue. What really triggers people is the importance of tempering in later patches. That doesnt make this patch bad.

Panesterra was never nothing about elitism. It is solely about luck getting in, nothing more, nothing less. The only possible drama is about servers preplanning who were getting what fortresses and loot from Ahserion. But that was all the players' fault, not the siege.

The campaign stuff, we have discussed this before. And purification... I will just skip this, because it wont go anywhere. Loading screens is the only thing I can agree with.

Yeah the problem of 4.8 was that they removed the popular zones and left the unpopular ones in the game. Kaldor and Levinshor died out faster than you could say nyerk, yet they removed everything else and left us with them.

And Panesterra was one of the major factors that made me quit. I do admit it's fun... if you get in. I did get in quite consistently since I was a 5-star officer in Asmo Siel back then, but then for 2 consecutive weeks I was unable to get in. And being unable to get in is the worst feeling ever. You lose out on 500 GP (which was A LOT back then), lose out on the fun that everyone else is having without you, and you have nothing to do for the next hour because all your friends are inside. Coupled with all the EB farming and instance/siege/pvp overload I couldn't take it anymore and just quit.

Yeah, I know, 5-star problems. But what about the 1-4-stars and unranked? Some people just can't play that often and farm enough GP to get 5-star, and they will never get to experience this siege unless they are extremely lucky (11.1% chance per week for 1-stars).

That's why I called this elitist and luck-based. Showing up for a siege and not being allowed to participate sucks.

Still has nothing to do with elitism. Panesterra always allowed two portals, one for 1 stars+ and the other for 5 star+. The latter meant you had (most likely) a spot, the former is all about clicking fast. Its about rewarding your time investment. If you cant afford that investment, then you dont deserve its rewards. 

4 minutes ago, Bryos-DN said:

Still has nothing to do with elitism. Panesterra always allowed two portals, one for 1 stars+ and the other for 5 star+. The latter meant you had (most likely) a spot, the former is all about clicking fast. Its about rewarding your time investment. If you cant afford that investment, then you dont deserve its rewards. 

Clicking fast still doesn't guarantee you a spot all the time. Even when I positioned my dialogue window so I can easily click through it without moving my cursor, I still didn't get in sometimes. It's also lame that earning GP is by winning a click war instead of actually doing something meaningful. Are you saying that by losing the click war, you don't deserve the reward?

5 minutes ago, xiilieaxz-DN said:

Clicking fast still doesn't guarantee you a spot all the time. Even when I positioned my dialogue window so I can easily click through it without moving my cursor, I still didn't get in sometimes. It's also lame that earning GP is by winning a click war instead of actually doing something meaningful. Are you saying that by losing the click war, you don't deserve the reward?

Agreed, even clicking fast on the 5 star plus doesn't guarantee you an entry and it is even worse that someone who puts in the time to get the rank, and who can arguably make more of a contribution should PVP occur, can't get in. 

However, why call this an "elitist" system is beyond me. As you just noted, even high ranks don't always get in. The system was likely designed in order to have a manageable number of people. That's just a guess. Maybe it could have been doubled without too  much of a hit on the severs.

3 minutes ago, Rapier-DN said:

Agreed, even clicking fast on the 5 star plus doesn't guarantee you an entry and it is even worse that someone who puts in the time to get the rank, and who can arguably make more of a contribution should PVP occur, can't get in. 

However, why call this an "elitist" system is beyond me. As you just noted, even high ranks don't always get in. The system was likely designed in order to have a manageable number of people. That's just a guess. Maybe it could have been doubled without too  much of a hit on the severs.

Because 1--4 stars have much lesser chance of getting in. If 5-stars are already having problems clicking in, I can't imagine what competing with up to 900 other people would be like.

I consider content that leaves lower ranked/geared players behind "elitist".

how  is it elitist though? there is a better chance to get in if you hold transform rank. If you want to get a better chance to get in- then work to get transform rank. That's not elitist, that's a system that rewards the effort of those who worked harder than several hundred other people, and they deserve a better chance to get in. They also give their faction a better chance. That's hardly elitist.

I agree that Panesterra entry was very unfair to newer or less active players.  VERY UNFAIR!

Most people here probably don't know me, but I was governor in Siel-Asmos when Panesterra first came out and I was therefore always guaranteed a spot....
However, it didn't feel good when all my lower ranked friends couldn't get in.  Week after week, they try to click as fast as they can... set up macros to click.. and it just didn't work out.

That was partial in my decision to step down, me not wanting to always go to Panesterra on a Saturday afternoon.  There were other sieges before and after it that was neglected also when all the high ranks were busy inside for two hours.  (It was also an easy decision to step down because my friends were commanders and next in line for gov =P, but there was other drama and my work schedule that made sense for me to step down).   

Anyways... I just want to share my point of view on this topic:  
If you had to go to Panesterra every friggin Saturday... you wouldn't care to go eventually... unless you wanted the GP. 
When I finally had a choice to not attend so that others could attend... it enjoyed the freedom. 

No more barking orders... no more staying in the front lines and typing nonstop... trying to listen to multiple ventrilos because you had to communicate cross server along with all the other leaders and appropriately using intel to know which fort to attack or defend at the same time teaching first timers how to navigate the maps.  Panesterra for me was just two hours of listening and typing and buffing (I was chanter), moving the dead around for loci, and dancing around when xformed =)

The best thing about the "Hall of Fame" and being ranked was that I could buy everyone the shiny gold cabinet with AP for their housing!

P.S. Don't use the word elitist, everyone has different values for that word.

20 minutes ago, Iczel-KT said:

I agree that Panesterra entry was very unfair to newer or less active players.  VERY UNFAIR!

Most people here probably don't know me, but I was governor in Siel-Asmos when Panesterra first came out and I was therefore always guaranteed a spot....
However, it didn't feel good when all my lower ranked friends couldn't get in.  Week after week, they try to click as fast as they can... set up macros to click.. and it just didn't work out.

That was partial in my decision to step down, me not wanting to always go to Panesterra on a Saturday afternoon.  There were other sieges before and after it that was neglected also when all the high ranks were busy inside for two hours.  (It was also an easy decision to step down because my friends were commanders and next in line for gov =P, but there was other drama and my work schedule that made sense for me to step down).   

Anyways... I just want to share my point of view on this topic:  
If you had to go to Panesterra every friggin Saturday... you wouldn't care to go eventually... unless you wanted the GP. 
When I finally had a choice to not attend so that others could attend... it enjoyed the freedom. 

No more barking orders... no more staying in the front lines and typing nonstop... trying to listen to multiple ventrilos because you had to communicate cross server along with all the other leaders and appropriately using intel to know which fort to attack or defend at the same time teaching first timers how to navigate the maps.  Panesterra for me was just two hours of listening and typing and buffing (I was chanter), moving the dead around for loci, and dancing around when xformed =)

The best thing about the "Hall of Fame" and being ranked was that I could buy everyone the shiny gold cabinet with AP for their housing!

P.S. Don't use the word elitist, everyone has different values for that word.

Needed to add... although it's very unfair for newer/less active players... from an individual standpoint which I agree with Xiiliea.
Therefore it sucks that not all of the playerbase can get to experience the content.

However, Rapier has a good point because those who grind hard and are probably more geared should have the better chance to get into this PVP instance. 

Panesterra is for your server and faction.  You need the stronger players in there for higher probability of being victorious.

Aion can't be fair to all.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:35 PM, Rapier-DN said:

This is something I've honestly wondered now for a while since the server merge. If the supply of players for Panesterra is high enough, why not just remove the limiter of players who can get in? The code behind the scenes doesn't sound too complicated, just increase the cap from 100 to 150, or even possibly 190 to make a full league then make the adjustments to fort gates/mobs/deitys/ahserion. I don't think that would be deviating too far from what Korea has mandated -- because I know NCWest has little control over the actual game. 

I farmed for months to become a great general and nothing was more frustrating than knowing I'd have to wait another week just for a lotto chance to enter cross server.

On 9/3/2018 at 10:59 PM, xiilieaxz-DN said:

Levinshor

I personally do not think anyone was as invested in Levinshor as i was. To me this map holds great nostalgia it is where i made my fortune and had some awesome fights over key bosses on my cleric which i recently re-rolled around that time. Did kata/danaria need to be deleted for it... no they did not but i consider Levinshor as one of the best PvPvE open world experiences you had in the game if you participated in its content.

To me it was a breath of fresh air coming from the only decent PvPvE encounters were 24vX trying to get in to EB or fighting to stop people from getting in to EB. It ended up being some good 6v6/6voutnumbered/ 12v12s and so on.

I am well aware that not everyone has the same opinion as i do about levinshor but man i loved farming that tomul hat so much when they first released it :D. I guess if you did not participate in summoning key bosses it would of been a very boring map.

Archived