Is the Abyss still a thing?

Goanad-KT

8 minutes ago, 1s5F940-KT said:

Thanks...how strange. For all the time we played before it was kind of the focal point. 

Yeah no kidding. The Abyss is what made me get in to Aion. I loved the Abyss when it was relevant. Maybe one day Korea will bring it back new and improved but it doesn't seem likely.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 6:07 PM, Pharoahra-DN said:

Yeah no kidding. The Abyss is what made me get in to Aion. I loved the Abyss when it was relevant. Maybe one day Korea will bring it back new and improved but it doesn't seem likely.

Oh the Abyss was my favorite place. Who knows, they are starting to bring back flying zones as of 7x. So down the line a new and improved Abyss might be a possibility.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:00 PM, AriaTheMelodious-DN said:

The new leveling system races you to level 80 and it's there that you begin your gear grinding, enchantment, etc. All the stuff you used to do along the way for various gear sets, you now do at the end for 2 gear sets (1 Pve 1 pvp). This way everyone is at the same level and can always run stuff together

In theory that was the idea. But when you factor in enchantment rates, ultimate vs. legendary, etc., etc., etc. (I'm just setting examples here) as many of us already know it didn't turn out that way.

3 hours ago, Heuo-DN said:

Abyss is currently dead (maybe revived later  in 7.x patch?) and flying is very irrelevant now for this region.

To each their own (dam, I'm starting to sound like a broken CD/record, whatever), But flying will ALWAYS be important to me. I'm very good at it and Flying is coming back as of 7x. So ya better dust off those wings, lol, he, he, he.

I remember when the Abyss was the thing. Meeting up with friends, taking an artifact and setting down your kisk and fighting off of it until we got overwhelmed. Damn me, but people complained bitterly about flight PvP.. but we all did it!

As time (and patches) moved on, the Abyss became less and less important to the point it was really only active during siege times even though flight PvP had been improved by a great deal as compared to those early days. I believe that's why the devs removed it and only opened up the Core for the one siege on Sundays. Which does make me sad. Flying and the Abyss are so iconic when it comes to Aion. 

I'm glad to hear that flying makes a return in 7.x, but I will still always miss those old days of PvPing in the Abyss.

I will never miss the abyss to be honest, it was more hustle than fun most of the times, the worst part was the inability for the majority of its existence to teleport to key spots unless you had a fortress.

They always made it super hard to go anywhere in the abyss and most of the time you had to slowly fly until the area you wanted. Add to this there was a time when hide users would simply camp in key positions, only to go out of hide, kill you in 1~2 seconds and vanish again. And of course there was always those enemies  who would never get out of their safe zone unless they had a full pvp group, which felt exactly like zerging, so me as a soloer always had to be super cautious.

The very first time I quit Aion for about 8 months until a new update came, was when abyss was at its most relevancy and everyone was there and there was continuous ganging so I felt the game was over for me as a soloer. I do not even remember which patch this was but I couldn't get out to do anything without having a mini siege-worth amount of enemies ganging whatever moved.

I only agree it was exuberant while it existed, plenty of areas, plenty of quests, urgent orders, fortresses, sieges, artifacts, instances etc.

22 hours ago, Aly-DN said:

I remember when the Abyss was the thing. Meeting up with friends, taking an artifact and setting down your kisk and fighting off of it until we got overwhelmed. Damn me, but people complained bitterly about flight PvP.. but we all did it!

As time (and patches) moved on, the Abyss became less and less important to the point it was really only active during siege times even though flight PvP had been improved by a great deal as compared to those early days. I believe that's why the devs removed it and only opened up the Core for the one siege on Sundays. Which does make me sad. Flying and the Abyss are so iconic when it comes to Aion. 

I'm glad to hear that flying makes a return in 7.x, but I will still always miss those old days of PvPing in the Abyss.

Funny, though I have agreed with you in numerous posts, I never thought we think somewhat alike Aly until I read this. Bravo. We learn something new every day. This just goes to show what I have said from my beginning posts (tho I've followed these forum\s long before ever posting, over years in fact) It is unwise to ever summarily pass judgement on anyone especially over one act or as in many cases here on these forums, for one or two sentences. For you just never know eh?

12 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

I will never miss the abyss to be honest, it was more hustle than fun most of the times, the worst part was the inability for the majority of its existence to teleport to key spots unless you had a fortress.

They always made it super hard to go anywhere in the abyss and most of the time you had to slowly fly until the area you wanted. Add to this there was a time when hide users would simply camp in key positions, only to go out of hide, kill you in 1~2 seconds and vanish again. And of course there was always those enemies  who would never get out of their safe zone unless they had a full pvp group, which felt exactly like zerging, so me as a soloer always had to be super cautious.

The very first time I quit Aion for about 8 months until a new update came, was when abyss was at its most relevancy and everyone was there and there was continuous ganging so I felt the game was over for me as a soloer. I do not even remember which patch this was but I couldn't get out to do anything without having a mini siege-worth amount of enemies ganging whatever moved.

I only agree it was exuberant while it existed, plenty of areas, plenty of quests, urgent orders, fortresses, sieges, artifacts, instances etc.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble there. As for me, I'm quite the aerialist so I could usually outfly the gankfest of cowardly Ely's when they flew after me (hey, a crowd of lvl 70-75's flying after one lowly lvl 40 something or 60 something as was in my case is cowardly any way you slice it, sorry) until certain characters of mine developed somewhat of a reputation. So much so to the extent I could sit and watch sieges as they happened from the Ely point of view and never be even looked at as prey. I thank my sleeper Godstones for this, lol. But that's not the point here.

Tho some games have tried no other game has been able to duplicate the personal freedom of flight Aion has with a sense of realism right down to the size of your wings and how they look (well, most of them anyways) on your character or her 'poise' while hovering or during reverse or intense flight maneuvering. Like it or not personal Flight is as iconic to Aion as the intense PVP is. Yea I was wierded out and upset when 6x came out as many here well know. But I've gotten over it and took a look at the bigger picture. Aion needed to change to survive and while I still do not agree with many of the changes made (especially Transformations) the game is trying to evolve and while I may be alone in my opinion, I've decided to remain loyal and , sort of, see where it goes for now. The return of Flying in 7x is a positive step. I've played it on my Korea acct. And while 7x is far from perfect. I feel it is a positive step in the right direction especially for we 'old timers/veterans' who miss what we lost. Enuff said for now except I wish you the best of luck in 7x!

I miss the abyss as well. The complaints about PvP, well....were everywhere. Even the lowbie areas always had some ganker around the corner, and the same PvP farming gangs that never gave you a moment to breathe. At least in the Abyss you were expecting it and could hide in the pure size of it, and were ready to dish some out in return (since the PvP gear was a bit different). Also, the free flight plus the haunting music just kinda pulled the feels out of you. 

Sometimes I wonder what the game would have looked like if they'd made the old PvP gear Abyss-Only or something... Have it lose all its PvP bonuses until returning to the abyss to prevent the "farming" that scared so many players off in the old days. 

I'm not a fan of the "rush to 80 dump in Lakrum", but I understand why they did it. At least if I want to level up an alt, they aren't trapped by gankers anymore. The rifts still appear to be working, just aren't used because you level up so fast.

On 19/7/2019 at 9:20 PM, Aieryn-DN said:

I'm quite the aerialist so I could usually outfly the gankfest of cowardly Ely's when they flew after me

Tho some games have tried no other game has been able to duplicate the personal freedom of flight Aion has with a sense of realism right down to the size of your wings and how they look (well, most of them anyways) on your character or her 'poise' while hovering or during reverse or intense flight maneuvering.

Well I found my ways around being in abyss and when hide users were always anti-sorcs by creation so I would try to go to a place slowly... and then boom, it was like the tinking days in Morheim. I am more than sure those people who enjoyed simply ganging undergeared people in Morheim and then in Abyss by surprise of hide, no longer play the game, while it was them who ruined it slowly in the beginning. But it also had to do with the fact that gearing up was stupid slow and hard so many people were left without good gear to play.

And of course free flight is Aion's best thing, I liked that part too, it is just abyss was never made to make anything normal in difficulty, the moment you opened the wings it felt like a chore and had to take everything into consideration because you would end up back in base in no time if someone found you.

18 hours ago, Polychrome-DN said:

in the Abyss you were expecting it and could hide in the pure size of it, and were ready to dish some out in return (since the PvP gear was a bit different). Also, the free flight plus the haunting music just kinda pulled the feels out of you.

Oh I remember very well flying upwards as high as I could, go to the spot I needed and then start flying downwards to reach it, most of the times it worked. It is just the people with the mentality of ganging or ninja ganging were always playing the super strong classes of every patch to take the advantage of the situation, if they couldn't kill you they could avoid pvp better and if they could kill you there was no way to avoid them, and then was when I learned how many client side hacks this game has because I was constantly finding myself in perma flight speed still not being able to avoid them.

Pure freedom in a game is good until people start to abuse it. and although people might defend the term "pure freedom" just by definition, that is what made the game die so fast, the average user that found no pleasure in constantly dieing from pro gangers had no reason to play, and then the pro gangers also quit because they had nobody to gang anymore.

10 hours ago, Arhangelos-KT said:

Well I found my ways around being in abyss and when hide users were always anti-sorcs by creation so I would try to go to a place slowly... and then boom, it was like the tinking days in Morheim. I am more than sure those people who enjoyed simply ganging undergeared people in Morheim and then in Abyss by surprise of hide, no longer play the game, while it was them who ruined it slowly in the beginning. But it also had to do with the fact that gearing up was stupid slow and hard so many people were left without good gear to play.

And of course free flight is Aion's best thing, I liked that part too, it is just abyss was never made to make anything normal in difficulty, the moment you opened the wings it felt like a chore and had to take everything into consideration because you would end up back in base in no time if someone found you.

Oh I remember very well flying upwards as high as I could, go to the spot I needed and then start flying downwards to reach it, most of the times it worked. It is just the people with the mentality of ganging or ninja ganging were always playing the super strong classes of every patch to take the advantage of the situation, if they couldn't kill you they could avoid pvp better and if they could kill you there was no way to avoid them, and then was when I learned how many client side hacks this game has because I was constantly finding myself in perma flight speed still not being able to avoid them.

Pure freedom in a game is good until people start to abuse it. and although people might defend the term "pure freedom" just by definition, that is what made the game die so fast, the average user that found no pleasure in constantly dieing from pro gangers had no reason to play, and then the pro gangers also quit because they had nobody to gang anymore.

Oh I always got a good laugh out of the so called 'Twink vs. Twink' brigades, as I called them, lol. Many ppl hid just to ambush the Twinks, and that was sooooo much fun to watch, lol. Good times.

I agree with a lot of what you said. And for many who don't have my skill at Flying the Abyss could turn into one massive Die fest. One of my tactics was flying just underneath the upper or lower islands (depending on my level) then coming up to the one where I needed to be. This tactic also afforded me many obstacles to use my aerial ability in defense during those times I was chased by enemies until my characters developed a sort of reputation. Using these obstacles I could sometimes separate lesser fliers from their cohorts then turn on the offensive and attack. It became my form of Gurilla warfare with a twist, litterally, lol, so to speak. Again, good times. I just became much too much trouble to deal with to the point I could mostly fly freely even over sieges without fear of attacks. Oh once in a while one or two Elys would get brave (or bored I guess) and challenge me but in a one on one aerial battle I'm very hard to beat, period so, that was that anyways. It was a lot of fun and there was always a challenge which is a big part of what we lost with 6x.

I'm happy to see some of it is coming back with 7x so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, lol.

• 1 year later...

Archived