The Feels

Jake-DN

5 minutes ago, Rinkusan-SL said:

Out of curiosity, what was Aion like during the pay2play days? I started playing a few months after it went free2play.

It was amazing, best pvp, best content, some of the best days ever in this games life. Dark poeta/Tahabata & miragents was end game. The grind was real, and super challenging.
Blue armor & weapons were decent back then...Manastones rarely failed to socket. Gathering & crafting was profitable. 

5 hours ago, Bryos-TM said:

Manastones rarely failed to socket, sure. But it wiped all of your socketed manastones if it failed. Those days were a nightmare.

That was not really such a nightmare. Do you remember miragent when it first came out? The challenge was actually brutal, especially the pants. My legion was so happy when I procced the pants on my first try (I never had that kind of RNG before or since). I knew so many people who quit because they had 5, 10, or even 15 or more failures. They lost so much time and kinah getting boiling balaur stains...

So many people quit they had to change that quest line.THAT was a nightmare.

Wtf game were you playing where manastones "rarely" failed?   You act as though it didn't frequently require 50 manastones to socket a 4-slot armor.  

Aion at launch was a lot of fun but had its issues. On the fun side we had an unofficial RP server - Lumiel.  People would gather in taverns and RP.  Some of the best people I met were from Lumiel RP community.  This is gone now.

We had forums that let you look up characters and see their gear.   This function also showed you what their armor looked like.   I'm miss this though people could use it to screen out undergeared players.

People complained about the grind to 50 and running out of quests some levels.  A lot of people quit calling it a Korean Grinder by the mid-30s level wise.  

Rifting in low level zones was frequent and exciting.  At first.  Then came the twink assassins that never left Eltnen making casual players life hell because they couldn't level. 

Random PvP in the Abyss was common.  Sorc spells weren't nerfed like they are now.  My sorc would enjoy dropping an Inferno on someone's head which 1-shot most people.  Later he could Lightburst and 1-shot someone every hour. This is no longer possible as sorc damage in their highest damage spells was nerfed for PVP.  

Speaking of Abyss, forts had tons of PVP unlike today on IS where Asmos only show up when they get the losers Buff that makes it nearly impossible to kill them. 

I remember grinding at Mau and Bakarma elites for exp hour after hour. at some point it took over 1 hour to get 1 bar of exp. At least the leveling experience has improved!!

And the skins back then you could reuse as many times as you wanted to iirc. Though most skins are more readily available now.

white - 10% fail
green - 20%
blue- 30%
fabled- 40%

when gear only had 4 sockets, on average it would take less than 16 manastones to succeed all 4. pvp gear was a horse of a different color.

it was enchanting that was a new kind of hell, because people didn't know the enchant success rate till either late 2.0 or early 3.0, when russian GMs posted their 10k enchant stone test to show that you needed to use stones 10/20/30/40/50/50 levels above the item you were enchanting to get max enchant rate, and that there was a hardcap on success chance at 80%. (still is, outside of supplements.) people enchanted gear with stones that only had 50-60% success chance, or would buy level 100+ stones to enchant level 50 fabled gear, extreme overkill. it was the wild west back then.

though the MOST fun part of 1.0 was getting your stigmas. your level 20-30 stigmas were very common. I think the mobs around eltnen fortress were programmed to drop their shit stigmas fairly often. The problem was that mobs only dropped stigmas for a very small level range. Some level 45ish stigmas were incredibly rare and cost a fortune. since all game data was suppllied by player logs submitted to fansites, people would farm specific mobs because someone had got the stigma they needed there. same with godstones and other rare items. My friend RMT'd to get the kinah to buy recovery spell for 70m in the first month of the game after running 30 runs of steel rake and killing every steel rake kobold peon and still no drop. I remember getting pms from people i'd never met because they looked me up on the website gear list and saw that I had Holy Shield III socketed and wanted to buy it, because nobody knew where to get it. AionArmory said it was from the bighorn-type mobs east of redmane cavern in beluslan, so i farmed there for days. I still don't remember if i got the drop there or ninjad a cheap one off broker. gladiators payed big bucks for ankle snare, both plates were desperate for Unwavering Devotion.

I remember paying an absolute fortune for my basic sleep or Vaizel's wisdom back in day...or or the other was a couple of million kinah. That would have probably been the equivalent of a few hundred or more now.

By the way..speaking of sorc God mode..anyone remember that asmo sorcs also had the benefit of almost insta casta nukes with BOQ and didn't have PVP damage reduction? that was fun (Elyos sorcs got BOQ not that long ago)

RIP BoQQ.

I remember proc'ing a pair of expert noble leather boots (the gold level 33 speed boots popular with twinks) and selling those for, like, 12mil. Felt like the 1% of the server with my grand total of, like, 15mil at the time.

Also spent DAYS out farming the balaur on Sulfur island to get ankle snare, and 82-84 runs of Fire Temple to get Kromede's extendy spear (and got fear shriek, iirc, from a Vile Judge Kromede, which was kinahhhhhhhhhhhhh).

On 8/26/2017 at 6:09 PM, Rinkusan-SL said:

Out of curiosity, what was Aion like during the pay2play days? I started playing a few months after it went free2play.

Wrote an essay and my browser glitched and refreshed qq.

Pick a patch and Ill explain the key differences. 

As far as the game went, the community was far better quality, as people actually had to pay to play thus they had more incentive to actually care for things. 

Better sense of PvP, better seiges because better quality people, better drama since the game had more of a family type style to it. Notice when people come back after not playing everyone is like OMG HAIII. 

Knew the game was going down hill after 2.7, but 3.0 really marked the over the hill, when the quality of players drastically changed. 

On 8/27/2017 at 0:09 PM, Calista-TM said:

That was not really such a nightmare. Do you remember miragent when it first came out? The challenge was actually brutal, especially the pants. My legion was so happy when I procced the pants on my first try (I never had that kind of RNG before or since). I knew so many people who quit because they had 5, 10, or even 15 or more failures. They lost so much time and kinah getting boiling balaur stains...

So many people quit they had to change that quest line.THAT was a nightmare.

But you could exchange 7 failure items for 1 hot heart of magic.

--------------

If I can remember, in aion 1.x you couldn't use remove shock if you got silenced first

39 minutes ago, Bogel-KR said:

But you could exchange 7 failure items for 1 hot heart of magic.

--------------

If I can remember, in aion 1.x you couldn't use remove shock if you got silenced first

The 7 failures thing was wayyyyyyyyy later. (post-2.0, iirc; though maybe 1.9?) Miragents/Fenris was the sht pre-2.0. One of the best, most attainable (sans pants) gearsets that made you a god over the rest of us plebs with our fancypants blue gear.

I remember someone on AionSource giving up at, like, 36 attempts at the HHoM, back when it was still, what, 125 BBBS per attempt. : x

• Sold a 2k jelly design for 2 million that I got from grinding Calydons with my pocket healer. We split the kinah. Never felt so rich. I promptly bought the 30 second wings.
  • Going into dredg on New Vazil right after the first and only week of the "MONTH LONG FREE TRANSFERS" only to get a complete group of Sin Filled Afterlife.. wearing full level 50 Abyss gear. *sigh*
  • Taking Roah by filling the ramp into the Dux room with kisks.
  • Getting pranked.
  • Having players blocked from getting their Miragents because they couldn't complete their campaign quests due to Asmos taking Sulfur on their Elyos alts.
  • Spending 4 hours in Dark Poeta duo killing as many Balaur mobs as we could to get blood stains and hearts because it was impossible to farm Balaur mats for your pants in the Abyss when outnumbered 3 to 1.

The good ol' days.

Who else tried to proc their Hot Heart of Magic while not wearing pants, your hat visible and having full dp?

I almost forgot!

• Great events.. like the St. Patty's Day Massacre.

Not only full dp, but with legion mates standing around us popping buffs and using whatever skills they could without a target.

And grinding calydons. So. Many. Calydons. I remember thinking it was taking forever to get my full set.

The devs haven't forgotten how to make getting some sets of gear a pain in the ass, though. I decided to try the quest chain for the lvl 65 Daevanion set on my Asmo and gave up mid-boot. That quest makes the old Miragent/Fenris quests look like a joke.

Edit: Shout out to anyone still around who was on Triniel at launch. Those pre-merge days were the best of the game hands down.

Archived