Jump to content
Cyan

Ongoing DDoS Service Impact

Recommended Posts

Cyan   

Hello all,

We’re aware of ongoing distributed denial of service attacks directed at our games and are working to mitigate them. If you’ve been experiencing connection drops or sporadic high latency, please know that we’re closely watching the situation and reducing game service impact as much as possible. We'll be posting updates on the @L2andAionOps account on this and any other service impacting issues.

If you’re experiencing connection or latency issues which you believe to be outside of these attacks, we ask that you please submit a support ticket so we can collect additional information.

We appreciate your understanding and patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juice-KT   

Is this supposed to have meaning? We know you're aware. The question is, what are you going to do to make it up to players who are sticking around through the dumpster fire that is the server at the moment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cyan if you please could give us 1 more week of  the pumpkin event,have a lot more candies to burn U.U. then it would be  more than a great compensation for the ddos  thing..:D bargaining  bargaining with a great doe eye...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aroch-DN   
4 hours ago, Cheesecake-DN said:

Might be automated. /shrug

Yes, but attacks became predictable, and it's more easy to prevent them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aly-DN   

I don't think it's possible to prevent them, but knowing that they are every 20 minutes makes it easier for us to time what we are doing around them. For example, start Spire right after an attack. At 20 minutes, stop and wait for the attack to be over before starting the next floor. Same with bosses in instances. It's sad that we have to do this but until the potato that is doing this decides to stop, there isn't much more we can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Juice-KT   
18 minutes ago, Aly-DN said:

I don't think it's possible to prevent them

It absolutely is possible, are you kidding me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neves-DN   

You cannot prevent a DDoS. It has become a service for hire, and anyone with enough money can pay to have it done by the hour, day, week etc.. All you can do is mitigate how it affects your services, which usually requires cooperation with your service provider and / or a third party company that is capable of filtering most of the unwanted traffic. At the same time you have to be careful to avoid filtering legitimate traffic. Blocking / redirecting packets by geolocation is easy, but filtering traffic of the areas that you serve is much more challenging.

It's frustrating, but if you want to blame someone blame the jackass that's doing it. If NCSoft doesn't keep mitigation response in place for future attempts, that's on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aly-DN   

On a positive note, I did my Spire this morning lag free.. the whole run. Fingers crossed that a week was all this potato wanted/paid for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cyan said:

Hello all,

We’re aware of ongoing distributed denial of service attacks directed at our games and are working to mitigate them. If you’ve been experiencing connection drops or sporadic high latency, please know that we’re closely watching the situation and reducing game service impact as much as possible. We'll be posting updates on the @L2andAionOps account on this and any other service impacting issues.

If you’re experiencing connection or latency issues which you believe to be outside of these attacks, we ask that you please submit a support ticket so we can collect additional information.

We appreciate your understanding and patience.

You're aware?

It's been exactly one week since this all began, 4 days since we hear so much as a peep from any of you, and the first bit of communication we get is, "you're aware the problem exists." Well yippe!!!!

Listen, I don't blame community reps, I mean you're told what to say, and you follow orders. But man, your overlords over in Korea suck shugos! Every.single.year its th same malarkey from these folks, and we're just supposed to sit back and take it, (or work around their egregious, gross negligence, as some of your more loyal shee...I mean players would suggest.) Wonderful. Lets reward the incompetent. LOL!

How about, (and this is just a suggestion), NCKorea starts investing in a better server infrastructure for its players outside of, you know, Korea? No more infamously volatile and highly vulnerable Level3 ISP garbage, for instance? Maybe, just maybe, it Korea showed its non native players that they care, they'd stick around, instead of perpetuate the known "NCSoft is garbage" stigma that exists today.

S.S.D.D. with NCsoft. Though I suppose its more akin to S.S.D.Y.

Again, I dont blame you, the CM's, reps and whatnot, this isn't your fault. But dude, your employers suck. Sorry but, they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scar-KT said:

But man, your overlords over in Korea suck shugos!

If anyone sucks shugo it is the pathetic individuals attacking our servers, but I share in your frustration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyd-KT   

Featured-image-salt-foods-.jpg?fit=720,3

The amount of salt is just too damned High in this thread please continue got more popcorn to eat

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it even possible to be a problem resulted from merge servers? Lags and dissconnected i experience when are many people online..during day time (for GTM+2) till evening usually I don't having this issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nicolleta-KT said:

Is it even possible to be a problem resulted from merge servers? Lags and dissconnected i experience when are many people online..during day time (for GTM+2) till evening usually I don't having this issues.

No, the problem has nothing to do with merged servers. It's a problem from an outside source, not inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone is being particularly salty in this thread - people are frustrated.  Scar's post in this thread is perfectly understandable.  This crap has been going on for like a week and while there was a tweet about it the issue, there really hasn't been a whole pile of responses from the company on this forum (that I've seen - there's a lot of threads with a lot of conversations happening).  This happens frequently, and each time we get the same response "we know there's a problem, just be patient" .. and in at some point we'll get an in-game survey with a Lucky Vinna and we're all supposed to just be chill about it.  Do any of us expect Cyan to have all the answers?  Nope.  But a good company wouldn't have waited almost a week to post a message about a problem that is clearly upsetting it's company base.  The lack of communication is shocking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cyan   

I would like to remind everyone, again, that personal attacks on the forums are not acceptable. Please keep all replies constrictive and on topic. 

The DDoS situation is frustrating all around, and the proper teams have been doing what they can to mitigate the effects of it. If you were directly impacted by these attacks (such as being disconnected and losing boss drops, or dying and losing a run of an instance) please submit a ticket to support with the relevant information and they can assist with getting those items, or whatever else was missed.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rag-DN   
20 hours ago, 2s346B13-DN said:

@Cyan if you please could give us 1 more week of  the pumpkin event,have a lot more candies to burn U.U. then it would be  more than a great compensation for the ddos  thing..:D bargaining  bargaining with a great doe eye...

This plus Reset scrolls! Or even just an extended week of the pumpkin event would make me happy. I'll be honest there have been several days I log in and see the attacks still going on and say screw it and just log off because I know a lot of players were saying if you submit a ticket to support they just auto reply with a "We are aware of the situation, please watch the forums for more updates" (No compensation given for lost runs) and then you go to the forums and you just see, "We are aware of the attacks, please go to our twitter page."  Just makes us all feel like we're being jerked around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cyan said:

I would like to remind everyone, again, that personal attacks on the forums are not acceptable. Please keep all replies constrictive and on topic. 

The DDoS situation is frustrating all around, and the proper teams have been doing what they can to mitigate the effects of it. If you were directly impacted by these attacks (such as being disconnected and losing boss drops, or dying and losing a run of an instance) please submit a ticket to support with the relevant information and they can assist with getting those items, or whatever else was missed.

Thank you.

@Cyan i dont think thats really beeing effective to the situation or working. 
At the first day of the DDoS situation i've submited a ticket to the support about two entrys i've completly lost cuz got disconected from the game in my chars and that made me got kicked from the instance and they repply negative and didnt gave me for exemple an scroll of the instance i've mentioned. 
Anyway, about the experience, its good to know that you all doing your best to mitigate and give us the server without the instability but also isnt really nice to give alway time of your reall life to expend in game or in event if this same its frustrating u or your losing some stuffs because of the instability. Makes it 2x or 3x times harder to finish one simple thing like for exemple Crucible Spire (I went with my cleric and died 4 times cuz lagged in a moment i couldnt and when the server back to normal i was already outside the instance). 
That makes the players upset. 

We all know isnt ncsoft's fault that its DDoS attacks but the least we were expecting besides doing your best to mitigate its having some kinda of compensation for the frustrated week we had playing with all this lagg/dc's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it makes y'all calm down any, FF14 is getting DDoS'd too. This isn't just an NCWest issue, so just chillax. I'm sure we're all aware how big Square is, so if their game is getting affected, imagine the effort these culprits are up and about with. Don't indulge them so much with your negativity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emi-KT   
1 hour ago, Forthyn-KT said:

If it makes y'all calm down any, FF14 is getting DDoS'd too. This isn't just an NCWest issue, so just chillax. I'm sure we're all aware how big Square is, so if their game is getting affected, imagine the effort these culprits are up and about with. Don't indulge them so much with your negativity.

Ohmeng Forthy right. xD Also, yeah do a little research, and you will see it's not just NC getting DDOSED some People over in the Cambodia/Viet regions are possibly bored (prolly just a vpn), buuut you never know. Still no reason to pee your pants. Watch anime. That's what I do :3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nyali-DN   

I remember a few months back, we had the same issue with a couple of games. And it's the same again... Hopefully it'll end asap. u.u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mmm. I think this is a little suspicious.

if the attack is affecting NCSoft and also other companies like Square (FF14), and somebody said that somepeople can "hire the service",  it is hard for me to think about a random guy (or random group) with a lot of money and time and nothing more profitable to do. ¬¬

let´s think.... who can benefit from a lot of players on different games being annoyed and trying to find something new? I´m not checking the news in gamers world, but is there any new game from a company that can be interested in that, and having the money to do it? o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×