PING Issues after Server Maint

Rag-DN

So my Ping after they did maint has gone from the steady 50s to jumping from the 90s to the 120s range. I am noticing major lag spikes also where it shoots up to 1200+ .....

I talked to a few others so far and they say their ping is jumping from 30s to low 100s...very unstable

Looks like NCsoft went cheap and we got a really crappy AWS server.... NCsoft care to comment?

Hows your experience so far?

@Loki @Kibbelz

I think the best thing is try to use a ping reducer and see if that helps you out. A path through Washington DC is probably the best bet. 3 people to add to the list of ping data (family members) will check again during higher traffic times

KR: 181ms avg spikes hit tops just at 200

HU: 113ms avg spikes hitting 190

NA(east cost, no reducer): 23ms avg tops at 72

7 minutes ago, Iostcrazyman-KT said:

I think the best thing is try to use a ping reducer and see if that helps you out. A path through Washington DC is probably the best bet. 3 people to add to the list of ping data (family members) will check again during higher traffic times

KR: 181ms avg spikes hit tops just at 200

HU: 113ms avg spikes hitting 190

NA(east cost, no reducer): 23ms avg tops at 72

I have played Aion for the last 11 years without having to use a PING reducer. I'm not paying for a ping reducer program to play a F2P game. If they can't provide a steady network to their NA audience that they host to, I'll just go find a new game or a private server. 

21 minutes ago, Rag-DN said:

I have played Aion for the last 11 years without having to use a PING reducer. I'm not paying for a ping reducer program to play a F2P game. If they can't provide a steady network to their NA audience that they host to, I'll just go find a new game or a private server. 

I am not telling you what to do but its an mmorpg the lower the ping the better if you're not doing all you can to game on the best quality you can then that's fine but the whole reason there are these things is people want to be able to game with better quality if they don't live by the server. 105 isn't that bad sure it's not good but its not unplayable for people who are at 200 then yes it is best that they use a ping reducer to game at a level for just quality reasons. 

I wasn't trying to argue anything just add some data; for KR it is the same, for Hungary it is better, and obviously for the east cost player it is better as well. As far as lag spikes I have not noticed them more or less I feel the server feels the same and I would have to revise my remarks when more players log in/higher traffic or siege happens. As far as in PvE instances I don't feel any different and the ping stay virtually the same as it was before the change, up and down, not much different.

For players in SA I recommend changing their route to DC like I stated using Dallas, Miami, NYC probably aren't too good.

I had those ping spikes even with the old servers lol. Previously was with 75ms-110ms (no ping reducers) . My ping would always be fluctuating between 75-110, sometimes went up to 200+ as well. Although, there's less people online right now, I did a couple ping checks and it has spiked to 69ms in one of my ping checks, but that's it. Worked out for me since I'm more near the server and my ping is a lot better and very few spikes. Will have to try in siege to test.

I went from 9-12ms pings with the occasional 6ms to about 37-44ms. I live in Dallas where the servers use to be housed and on 1Gb upload/download fiber connection.

Honestly, I'm okay with the higher ping and looking forward to see if my issues I had before with having too low a ping will still crop up. Issues I had before were that players were in range of me but I wasn't able to cast skills on them until like 1-2s later or until their client updated the servers on their position to me, it sucked. Fear would make people ghost around/rubberband like crazy and fly straight forward even off of cliffs.

However, if everyone else's ping is worse now, it may still be the same thing. We'll see.

We all know it's money related.

Gw2 moved to these servers and they said operational costs were cut by 50% in an article.

So instead of you guys meeting in the middle and using a central server, you entirely nyerk the west coast and choose money over player quality.

Nice one.

1 hour ago, 5sB1C19-DN said:

Literally 67 or 80 ping to about 100-110.

Not sure l want to keep supporting a company that wants to nyerk the west coast with everything they do. Sieges are now screwed and my overall game play is worse.

I'm not sure how you see the West coast has suffered so badly in the past. Actually the East coast  was far worse off when the servers were moved to Austin, it certainly affected my ping.

Which is not to say that having servers on the East coast only is ideal - I would be happier if we had both East and West coast servers as well as maintenance when we had Daylight Savings Time applied - but those days are over since we don't have the numbers.

14 minutes ago, 5sB1C19-DN said:

We all know it's money related.

Gw2 moved to these servers and they said operational costs were cut by 50% in an article.

So instead of you guys meeting in the middle and using a central server, you entirely nyerk the west coast and choose money over player quality.

Nice one.

Of course costs halved, AWS is Amazon Web Services, Bezos is trying to kill every other company to end up being the only person that has a business. He doesn't car if a new service is making him lose money because he wants to dominate that area and have everyone under his umbrella.

good afternoon guys

i just try to log in and it said "too many players attempt to log in, please try later"

this indicate down sized server? also i live in Los Angeles, my ping was 50~70ms, it is 100~140 now (using battleping yes i changed to washingotn DC)

guys i think ncwest getting where they cant afford bigger server...

i hope i can find good pvp mmorpg before aion die for good... (i really hope not)

i hope NCwest fix or look into this problems soon.

i really love aion but i am scare now, i feel it will... soon... 

have a nice day everyone (players and NCwest)

This is in a diff thread from @KissYB-KT   Seems like there are even more issues then just ping stability 

3 hours ago, Rag-DN said:

So my Ping after they did maint has gone from the steady 50s to jumping from the 90s to the 120s range. I am noticing major lag spikes also where it shoots up to 1200+ .....

I talked to a few others so far and they say their ping is jumping from 30s to low 100s...very unstable

Looks like NCsoft went cheap and we got a really crappy AWS server.... NCsoft care to comment?

Hows your experience so far?

@Loki @Kibbelz

That's normal if u move the server to a diff location with a huge distances!! It's possible that they can optimize the routes with AWS to get a little improvement but nothing will change that for somes the ping just get down and others just up!

Remember everything about ping is related to distances and points that u need reach to get the server!

• Aion Team

Thanks for spinning up this thread, and please continue sharing feedback on how the change has impacted you. It will all be helpful info in helping guide the team going forward - it's in our best interest ensure there is a positive player experience available.

Note: I'll be reporting to the team next Monday on how the server change has impacted the playerbase overall.

11 minutes ago, Shirsiel-DN said:

That's normal if u move the server to a diff location with a huge distances!! It's possible that they can optimize the routes with AWS to get a little improvement but nothing will change that for somes the ping just get down and others just up!

Remember everything about ping is related to distances and points that u need reach to get the server!

The distance to the New AWS and the old server are the same for me...like just a 50 mile difference.

9 minutes ago, Shirsiel-DN said:

Kind of, there are a few parts to ping.

Firstly the speed of light, which is about 300km/ms so if you are 3,000km away from the server then it's going to add 10ms in each direction, remember ping is (send + receive) so it's a 6,000km round trip, or 20ms to your total ping, just because of the speed of light.

Secondly the route the data takes is almost never a straight line, the fiber optic cables could go all over the planet to get to the server, adding a time to the ping.

Lastly, the software that does the ping at both ends takes time to respond, if the server or you PC is under a substantial load, then it's going to increase the ping a lot regardless of distance or the route the data takes.

Legit what you guys doing is making this game unplayable, what you people been doing only makes me want to quit even more. There aren't much to do in the game but some pve pvp, and now this new server thing is making the pvp painful. My ping was 60 and now is 110-150 like okay idm having a slightly higher ping but it spikes A LOT, actually disgusting to play with.

1 hour ago, Kibbelz said:

Thanks for spinning up this thread, and please continue sharing feedback on how the change has impacted you. It will all be helpful info in helping guide the team going forward - it's in our best interest ensure there is a positive player experience available.

Note: I'll be reporting to the team next Monday on how the server change has impacted the playerbase overall.

So what about notifying the team in the next 2 working days instead of next week? It could be something that you should start looking at immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if the migration was not performed properly, It could be a matter of redeploying but the investigation needs to start asap. Right now the ping is way too unstable. I  am not an expert but it could be a problem with the infrastructure that could be easily rectified. In terms of the ping, I don't know how but I have gotten a much better number but way more unstable.

The problem is here and it won't go away by waiting till Monday.

So after maint. I was hitting 157-170ms ping from my old 57ms ping. 

I ran some instances and ping started to go down a little. I decided to turn to exitlag. Once I did exitlag with 4 routes going to ashburn01, my ping dropped back to 66ms and is now stable. 

So, exitlag saved me. It seems they have a lot more to optimize still with their new server routes. 

Ping went from 53ms on average before the update to 150ms, bouncing up to 223ms.

This is with WTFast... this is unbearable for west coast players. Please move back to a central location to be fair for both west and east coast players. I believe AWS server pricing is the same in different regions....

1 hour ago, Ceooek-KT said:

Ping went from 53ms on average before the update to 150ms, bouncing up to 223ms.

This is with WTFast... this is unbearable for west coast players. Please move back to a central location to be fair for both west and east coast players. I believe AWS server pricing is the same in different regions....

Regions & Number of Availability Zones

US East. North Virginia (6), Ohio (3)

US West. North California (3), Oregon (4)

Asia Pacific. Mumbai (3), Seoul (4), Singapore (3), Sydney (3), Tokyo (4), Osaka-Local (1), Hong Kong SAR (3)

Canada. Central (2)

taken from: https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global-infrastructure/

East or West, no Central option. :(

Archived